Not a question per se... but I love my new can light!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xdjio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Tracked down a decent deal on a used (but in perfect shape) Halcyon Helios 4.5. Battery pack gets 240 min burn time and it has the focusable head. I love this thing - just tried it out on a dive yesterday and I could not believe how well it punches through the poor vis this time of year. We only had about 3 meters at best and this was like a laser beam. And a goodman handle is so great.

I wonder how hard it would be to build a new NiMH battery pack one day.... :) Maybe get even more run time!

The Helios 4.5 does have a NiMH pack.

The Helios 4.5 does have a NiMH pack.

I think he wants to build a bigger one to replace what he has.

I loved my Helios 4.5. Well until I flooded it in salt water a couple months ago. Flooded the damn light head. FML. I am debating on which way to go with a rebuild now.

Correct: NiMH AA cells have come a long way - pretty sure that I could sit down and build a bigger, better pack with more capacity. But that's for a future day. For now - man, this is a nice light! Especially being able to focus the beam.

Good luck cramming it into that little can. That's the biggest hurdle. :)

1. There is/was a bigger battery pack available for the 4.5.
2. Change to Li battery.

Good luck cramming it into that little can. That's the biggest hurdle. :)

Indeed - there's only space for 10 AA cells in there. So we'll just have to make sure they are really, really great cells, right? :wink:

If I were going to change chemistries I'd probably go LiPo (Lithium Polymer) but then - no more using the Halcyon charger anymore, either. Still... it's a tempting project!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom