Not a huge fan of my GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They probably specify a flat port with focus knob for a reason and you need to mesh with the gear on the port. Do the teeth end up about 5-6mm forward of the gear attached to the port knob? Reading further it appears the zoom ring on the lens converts to a MF ring if the lens is in MF so there is only 1 gear.

The knob on the port often will have a mechanism to pull it back a little from the gear to allow you to install it then it goes back in to mesh with the zoom gear - have your tried that out to see if you can get the gear to mesh?

If that is not the issue I'm wondering if you are meant to fit the mounting ring for the gear slightly lower on the zoom ring - can you the little edge at the top of that ring to mount in the groove between the two sets of ribs on the zoom ring?

If that doesn't work I would suggest to PM Phil Rudin - he has definitely used this combination and should be able to tell what is wrong

Playing around again this morning, I am able to get the gear to mesh. It feels like it is off less than a mm, so the teeth either barely miss or barely mesh. This has to be the way it was meant to fit, it is so close and none of the other possibilities are close to fitting.

This is usable, and I'd assume I got it if everything else Nauticam did wasn't so absolutely perfect. There is nothing I can see that can mount even a little farther forward or backward.

The knob does move in and out, possibly for installation, although I was able to install the camera just fine before I noticed it did that.

The other part of the spacing equation is the camera mount, mostly those mounts don't leave room for error - but it may be worth fiddling with that a little to be sure it is seated properly . Apart from that all I can suggest is fiddling with the port knob- it should be pulled back to mount the lens/camera and then pushed in carefully while turning slowly to engage the zoom gear - it will probably need fiddling to get the two gears lined up. I would also check the teeth on the port gear for signs of wear.

If you continue to have trouble perhaps make another post specifically asking about issues with engaging the gears on port mounted zoom knobs and if anyone else has had issues with them. There are a different few ports and extension rings that use these knobs.

On my boat getting ready for my first dive, and I can't figure out how to attach the dome port, even though I did it several times at home! I unlock the mechanism on the left, line up the "|" with the "o" symbol, and I thought I remembered turning it clockwise to line up the "o" symbols, but now it won't turn.

I brought the instructions, which clearly say "turn the port anti-clockwise". If I lined it up correctly and turn anticlockwise, I would need to turn it about 300 degrees to line up the "o" symbols. I don't remember doing that, and it doesn't turn that way either.

I did send an email to original owner hoping for some free tech support but was hoping someone following this thread also knew how, since time is limited.

We figured it out on the boat. One of the screws inside the adapter was loose. It must have worked its way a little looser on the airplane, which is why it worked fine at home but not here. I still think the "anti-clockwise" in the manual is a misprint.

Camera flooded on the 2nd day. I had vacuum and everything was fine to 30 meters, then the alarm went off. I aborted my dive and panicked and opened the camera in the zodiac. No water noticeable, but of course the zodiac wasn't exactly dry.

Towel dried everything, inspected it, put it back together. Left it overnight under freshwater and had a good seal in the morning. 5 minutes into my dive, alarm goes off again! Aborted another dive, didn't see water in the housing, so I left it closed until I got inside the liveaboard. There was noticeable drops of water in the housing.

Towel dried everything again. I am not risking another dive taking this, but I couldn't if I wanted to. The alarm goes off right away now. Even leaving it in the sun long enough to be sure every possible drop evaporated, still get the alarm.

O ring looks brand new. Any other ideas what could be wrong or how to fix it?

Stuff some paper towels and a 2 lb soft weight in there and go for a quick dive (pull out electronics if that is an easy option). Where the towels are wet is where your leak is. At least then you have a place to start troubleshooting.

Not sure why your leak alarm would be going off all the time unless it was damaged during the flood.

It seems there is a damaged o-ring somewhere - if I recall correctly you've got the Sony A6300 in Nauticam housing using flat port/CMC-2 and 180mm dome with 60mm extension for the Zeiss 12mm lens. So you need the check main housing door o-ring and the o-rings on the port and on the adapter - all 3 o-rings need checking.

You say it won't hold a vacuum at all now? Which vacuum valve do you have? the push button or the screw one. When you say it alarms - does it flash red or does the audible alarm go off - flashing red indicates loss of vacuum, beeping indicates water detected. The alarm is very sensitive and even the slightest bit of water - or even damp salty residue will cause the alarm to go off. cleaning with some isopropyl may help displace moisture.

If it's flashing red from not holding vacuum - that's a different story - I assume you've screwed the valve closed properly -'I've forgotten that before and the vacuum goes straight away. I also assume you are replacing the cover on top of the vacuum valve.

I noticed you were having trouble with the ports before, is it possible you've damaged one of the o-rings trying to mount the port? Examine them closely with magnification if available, run them through your fingers checking for damage - anything other than perfectly smooth surface is suspect- check for grit or hairs. Here's a link to a similar adapter's manual for reference: 36052 N85 to N120 47mm port adaptor with knob for M43 System.pdf

Also if it was holding vacuum and o-rings all look good, it's possible one of the control o-rings has a problem that's only apparent when you use it - did the alarm only happen after you started using the housing controls?

It seems there is a damaged o-ring somewhere - if I recall correctly you've got the Sony A6300 in Nauticam housing using flat port/CMC-2 and 180mm dome with 60mm extension for the Zeiss 12mm lens. So you need the check main housing door o-ring and the o-rings on the port and on the adapter - all 3 o-rings need checking.

You say it won't hold a vacuum at all now? Which vacuum valve do you have? the push button or the screw one. When you say it alarms - does it flash red or does the audible alarm go off - flashing red indicates loss of vacuum, beeping indicates water detected. The alarm is very sensitive and even the slightest bit of water - or even damp salty residue will cause the alarm to go off. cleaning with some isopropyl may help displace moisture.

If it's flashing red from not holding vacuum - that's a different story - I assume you've screwed the valve closed properly -'I've forgotten that before and the vacuum goes straight away. I also assume you are replacing the cover on top of the vacuum valve.

I noticed you were having trouble with the ports before, is it possible you've damaged one of the o-rings trying to mount the port? Examine them closely with magnification if available, run them through your fingers checking for damage - anything other than perfectly smooth surface is suspect- check for grit or hairs. Here's a link to a similar adapter's manual for reference: 36052 N85 to N120 47mm port adaptor with knob for M43 System.pdf

Also if it was holding vacuum and o-rings all look good, it's possible one of the control o-rings has a problem that's only apparent when you use it - did the alarm only happen after you started using the housing controls?
Wow! This is masterful and helpful long-distance trouble-shooting! Well done!

Have you read the manual? Is there any one with more experience there to help?

It seems to hold vacuum fine. Obviously it doesn't if water gets in, but I can't notice a leak. I doubt it is the port, since it failed on 2 different dives with 2 different ports. A control ring that works until you push the button makes a lot of sense, since it only leaked after a pressure increase and actually using it.

I haven't seen both valve types, so I can't tell them apart. Mine has a red button to release vacuum.

Turning the switch on, you get a blue light blink once, then it blinks red. There is a very loud alarm that sounds.

How do I "check" an o-ring? I removed the main o ring and it looks brand new.

Can alcohol damage the housing if I use too much? I am tempted to flood it with isopropyl alcohol as even a tiny amount of residual salt is probably worse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom