Nose Bleeding...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the responses... I will pass the info on to the wife... and let her make the decision as to go see an ENT doc. She seems to not be in pain and usually doesn't know its even happening until I point it out. She just gets embarrassed easily. (even when I tell her she only has to impress me :wink:)

I agree with everyone's advice so far. One more small thing to look at is the mask itself. If her strap is on tight it shouldn't be. The mask stays in place with a good seal from the skirt around the face. If the strap is too tight it may inhibit the ability of the air space to equalize in the mask causing mask/sinus squeeze.

For most of my life, I've dealt with generally minor nosebleeds, due to veins in my nose that are closer to the skin surface than usual. It is apparently somewhat common, though I've never really researched it. When I was young and had my tonsils removed, they actually buried the culprit veins deeper under the skin, but the fix was only temporary. My doctor told me that they likely migrated back up over time.

Sometimes something as simple as blowing my nose can trigger it, but I can also get a nosebleed due to significant changes in humidity that alternately dry and moisten my skin.

I'm new to diving, and have not yet had a nosebleed while diving, but I'm expecting at some point it will happen. I'm guessing I'll just have to abort the dive if it ever does happen. Knowing that I have a 'sensitive nose', I tread gently when equalizing, and have found that on my limited dives so far (down to 45'), an exaggerated swallowing motion has been very effective for equalizing, keeping me from having to squeeze my nose much.

I think it's always prudent to seek a few answers from your doctor when you have health questions. I'm no doctor, just relating my own situation...

I had more nosebleeds (and usually the stuff was orange) when i first started diving. I think the sinuses get a thorough cleaning out! Probably she's a little slow in equalizing her mask yet. Sometimes students aren't told to equalize their mask, only ears.

Do you mean you're afraid the sharks will be attracted to the blood? Usually it doesn't bleed till ascent.

Once you see sharks under water, you'll no longer be in great fear of them. Promise!

This is a very common thing. What has been posted is true. It should take of itself in time, unless you are talking a major amount of blood. Another way too equalize without squeezing the nose is too pretend you are chewing gum, or even just a simple mask clearing move will usually do the trick, even if your mask is clear. If you continually pretend as if you are chewing gum while descending you shouldn't have any problems with equalizing your ears, and yes, sometimes you need too equalize your mask.(simply breath out your nose) But the shark thing, unless your talking about Lemon sharks, I'd definately stay out of the water. You've seen JAWS haven't you? Ferocious Man Eaters they are, Ferocious I tell you!!! Just kidding, the whole man eater thing is such a crock of $h!t. Unless you are a hunter and have a stringer of fish with you, you may have some issues. I volunteer for the Oregon Coast Aquarium and dive in the shark tank quite often, and from my observation they are a lot like a junk yard dog, in that they feed on fear. When we put new divers that are a little nervous and have an accelerated heart rate the sharks seem too be a little more curious and come a bit closer in numbers, rather than just seem too cruise around by themselves. So, if you do see a shark, stay calm and enjoy the show. If you need too go,(LOA or something) move slow and keep your cool. Dive safe, have fun, and give that nose a little time too become a divers nose.

Joe

LOL about the sharks...

I have seen a few sharks... and I agree with the assessment... However I have never encountered a shark big enough to bite my leg off of. :14: Therefore I have not seen the famous great white or ragged tooth... sharks I have seen in the movies.

It is ironic as it has happened on 15 foot open water dives as well as 40-60 foot open water dives.

She is never in pain... and it is usually only evident on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom