Norway Oct. 07' ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I may find myself in Norway as a 'guest' for 18 days in Oct. 07' I just found out the other day.......can you share with me a bit about the diving opportunities for coastal and inland diving,,,,and what weather/water conditions might I encounter for both types of diving?? Also good dive operators to hook-up with?? Thanks in advance. :)

I never dove in Norway. But just recently I read an interesting article in a German dive mag about Norway. There seems to be diving all year round (drysuit only-I guess). Cool wrecks!
The mag guys were using a dive center in Skottevik. Seems to be in the South.
The website is http://www.skottevik.no/skotteviken.aspx
Just give them a call.

There are lots of opportunities to dive in Norway. Its well known for clear water, good wrecks and lots of marine life.

Unfortunately it has a very long coastline and very different diving and weather in the north and south of the country. So let people know where you will be if you want any useful data.

Chris

Thanks to you both for the replies and link. I would be in Oslo if that beter helps someone to provide me with the basic diving conditions and operators in that area. Thanks again!!

texdiveguy:
Thanks to you both for the replies and link. I would be in Oslo if that beter helps someone to provide me with the basic diving conditions and operators in that area. Thanks again!!

Oslo isn't the greatest for diving as it is situated in the end of a long and murky fiord. If you aren't able to travel any distances, hook up with local dive clubs and you'll be on a boat for the whole sunday for about $20, and get a bunch of new friends as well if you behave! :wink:

I've just returned from one of the more famous resorts in Norway, namely Gulen Dykkesenter ( www.gulen-dykkesenter.no ). This is a very professional PADI ***** Dive Centre a couple of hours driving north of Bergen on the west coast. The owners are now my friends Monica & Ørjan. They have great dive boats (36ft RIB with 2x225 outboards...) that'll take you to most of the dive sites there within 30 minutes. It's a 12 hour drive on freakin' scary roads from Oslo though. At least for a non-citizen! :D
-They offer great nature dives, but they are most famous for setting up diving on some of Norway's greatest WW2 wrecks. I dove Frankenwald myself this saturday. Viz was 25 metres, temps around 15C all the way down. Max depth was 40 metres, and we are talking deco, preferably with a 28% nitrox mix. If you are prepared for this, it's a great dive. One of my top 3 for life I presume!

frankenwald_ror_lowres.jpg

Attached picture: Me this saturday at the rudder of the Frankenwald at Gulen. 39 metres.

And then of course I really can't leave this thread without mentioning our own "famous" dive trip to the islands of Hitra in mid-Norway. We're leaving Oslo on the morning of October 14. (Saturday), and returning on late Friday night October 20. You just put your gear in the trailer, step on the bus, enjoy the company of fellow divers, and you're off to a 5 full days of diving adventure. Hitra offers world class nature diving in the cross of the arctic oceans and the warmer Mexican Gulfstream. We can help you with some gear too if you need. Drysuit is mandatory for most diving in Norway, and although you'll be allright for the occassional sports dive in a semi, dry is highly recommendable.

Let me know if you're interested, ok? It's rather inexpensive and the place we stay at offers great comfort too.

Temps in mid-Norway right now (Celsius):
33nob.jpg

Edit: Before you ask. -Yes, you will see whales at Hitra. And no, we won't eat them! :D
Edit II: I didn't look at your profile before now, and yes you are ready for most kind of diving over here! :)
Edit III: A link: http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=158589

KOMPRESSOR, THANKS a ton for all the in depth information you provided me with,,,,the links and weather map! I will finish up my Ice Diver certf. this upcoming January. I will spend some detailed time going over all the info. you provided me with. I will ship all my gear to Norway except tanks, those I can rent from local dive shops. I hope you would not mind in the future asking you for additional insight as it comes up. :) Tex

texdiveguy:
KOMPRESSOR, THANKS a ton for all the in depth information you provided me with,,,,the links and weather map! I will finish up my Ice Diver certf. this upcoming January. I will spend some detailed time going over all the info. you provided me with. I will ship all my gear to Norway except tanks, those I can rent from local dive shops. I hope you would not mind in the future asking you for additional insight as it comes up. :) Tex

No problem buddy!
I pressume you don't ship your lead, and rather rent that as well with tanks? :D

I didn't really understand you were so well beforehand here, as you are coming in Oct. 07. I thought you were just around the corner, ha ha! Anyway, we're usually off to our islands in October, so you might have an available trip there next year also. October is a great month for diving anywhere here, so you're lucky!

As for the Ice Diver thing, you're coming in October, right?... No ice here in october... :D this weekend we had 23C in the shade and 15C in the water at 30 metres. Exceptionally warm for this time of year, and kind of scary... -Warmest September for the past 160 years they said on the radio today.

When you're closing in on your trip, let me know how much diving you'll be doing. As you're going through the effort of shipping all your gear, I pressume you mean business, so don't vaste your time on diving only in the Oslo Fiord, ok? Inland diving isn't much to think of either. Keep me posted if you find something interesting and I'll see what I can dig up for you.

KOMPRESSOR:
No problem buddy!
I pressume you don't ship your lead, and rather rent that as well with tanks? :D

I didn't really understand you were so well beforehand here, as you are coming in Oct. 07. I thought you were just around the corner, ha ha! Anyway, we're usually off to our islands in October, so you might have an available trip there next year also. October is a great month for diving anywhere here, so you're lucky!

As for the Ice Diver thing, you're coming in October, right?... No ice here in october... :D this weekend we had 23C in the shade and 15C in the water at 30 metres. Exceptionally warm for this time of year, and kind of scary... -Warmest September for the past 160 years they said on the radio today.

When you're closing in on your trip, let me know how much diving you'll be doing. As you're going through the effort of shipping all your gear, I pressume you mean business, so don't vaste your time on diving only in the Oslo Fiord, ok? Inland diving isn't much to think of either. Keep me posted if you find something interesting and I'll see what I can dig up for you.

LOL...lead will stay home!!

Oct. 2007

We are VERY warm and dry here in the USA,,,dang its all that Global Warming crap!

I do apprc. all your help....will do my homework.. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom