North vs. South on a liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarponchik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone,
I began planning Maldives maybe next year (April?). Most liveaboards advertise themselves as operating in "North-Central" or "South" Maldives etc. What would be the best choice in terms of quality of diving and wildlife?

Thanks!

You'll get a larger choice for southern itineraries but the north is equally good. MV Monsoon used to do northern cruises only but that might have changed. Also, there may be other boats now doing northern itineraries.

The currents are slightly less in the north but in the Maldives they are a factor that you must expect to experience.

We have just done a central northern LOB which was awesome...masses of mantra rays , sharks , other fish.......cannot recommend it highly enough.

Thanks! I will split my question into 2:

1. North vs South, Maldives overall?
2. North vs. South Male?

The south trip I took was mostly shark focussed. And by gosh, we sure did see one heck of a lot of sharks.

Was it south overall or south Male trip?

South to Addu, and a domestic flight back from Addu to Male to catch our international flights.

We have a north trip fairly soon, will post a report with photos after.

I believe that North or south depends on the season you are diving there.
Center is all the time.

central are less expensive than south because you have no internal flight. If you have never seen the Maldives, I belive that a central cruise of 10 days is the best quality/ratio that you can have.

South means a LOT of passes diving which are rather deep and with couurent. You need a pretty good level in order to get and enjoy it there :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom