North Sulawesi - Spring 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the great info so far. Wiggsy don't worry about the thread being hijacked, its all good info.

Rynomar in Roatan we are staying at Royal Playa Resort and Turquise Bay Resort. We wanted lots of diving but relaxation as well!! The count down is already on.

As for this thread so far I have heard back from Minahasa, which regularly does combinations with Lembeh Resort and from Siladen.

Keep the good info coming! Thanks

I have not been to either of those resorts but you will have a great time on Roatan. The topography of the reefs is very cool and I was really pleased with the life. Have fun.

Whether you've done 25 dives or 250 dives don't be afraid to try something new; Lembeh muck diving is a mind opening experience and deserves at least a few days (say 30% min) of your overall dive time.
Most people here have rightly pointed out that it can be mucky - no surprises there - and at least in the surface it can be extremely unwelcoming with the profusion of litter floating in the water. While you can get away from the town Bintung by being in the resorts, the rubbish goes with the flow of the water and you can't really escape. However get your mind past that and a very exciting world awaits beneath the waves - welcome to the world of 'critters'!
Diving in Lembeh is a little more comfortable than Bunaken (less influence of tides and currents) and this might be a factor in your thinking as relatively new divers. Not to say that Bunaken is bad, just not as easy as Lembeh.

Agree that accomodation on Bunaken Island side can be basic (I stayed at SeaBreeze; basic, but highly recommended for professional approach, friendly and good ratio of divers to DMs etc) but you do get used to it and at the end of the day you'll be too satisfied with the diving to really care too much that the shower is a little 'cool'!

Over on the mainland the resorts are better, more geared to the to those who want a little more of the creature comforts. On Lembeh however the island dive centres are higher up the scale of basic to luxury and you'll have an increasing choice.

Whatever you do - enjoy!

I agree with all what has been said on this thread - Lucky to be living in Singapore, so have visited North Sulawesi many times and stayed at a variety of resorts. In my experience, they all tend to be very good with professional diving operations; so you can't go wrong... Amongst the places not mentioned so far you could also try: Froggies on Bunaken, Diver's lodge in Lembeh, Santika resort (if you like a bigger place)

Hi,
inform yourself about the existing resorts on BUNAKEN and then you may find out which one is meeting your desires best.
On this website you’ll find a lot of information and advice, among others the description of 8 resorts with a price range from 8 US $ to 85 US $ p.P.p.N.
There you can also find tours to Tangkoko National Park, to the Togean Islands, Minahasa Highland Tour, trips to the volcanoes and other Sulawesi tours
Have fun:lotsalove::lotsalove:

Try NAD Lembeh! Great value for the price - good food & small, quiet, clean, comfortable resort.
Food at 2Fish Bunaken was really basic when we were there end 2007.
My hubby took his OW at NAD Lembeh! He felt a lot more comfortable at the slopes of Lembeh & was intimidated by the steep walls of Bunaken. At both places, the guides are great & there are lots to see! U will have fun!
Bunaken is 1 huge beautiful garden, Lembeh seems to be a desert with pockets of beautiful oasis & beautiful small-scale gardens. I retained distinct memories of the different dive sites in Lembeh...

Live aboards are out since Bruce gets motion sick at the Imax so we have to be land based.
Does he know he gets sick on boats, or just at the IMAX? I never take motion sickness stuff and I never have motion sickness on boats, planes, or anything with real motion. But fake motion gets to me - anything like IMAX (or OMNIMAX or those movie ride) and I'm green.

If it's boats, a smaller dayboat will often be worse for someone than a larger liveaboard. It depends a lot on the location and the type/size of boat. He might want to see what various seasickness meds do for him if he hasn't already, as no boats can really limit your diving.

Do not forget that the Manado-side coast has sites with things like Hairy Frog Fish, Mandarin fish etc etc on sandy/weed bottoms and coral outcrops. Lumbalumba and Tasik Ria are both close to sites like PohPoh where these creatures can be seen. And both of them have house reefs full of them. Personal experience at Lumbalumba jetty - giant stride, pause to check gear all OK, see two Robust ghost pipefish just there, decide am mistaken because they are so big, perhaps it really is only green weed, no, two huge Robust ghost pipefish and have the photos to prove it.

This seems to be overlooked - so anyone who would like to experience both Bunaken's walls and some sandy bottom strange, hairy little stuff can do well by staying Manado side. And it is slightly warmer than Lembeh. That said, my ideal recommendation would be a week in Lembeh - there's nothing like it. Followed by at least a week staying on Manado-side. We also like to see other things like volcanoes, tarsiers in Tangkoko National Park so that is possible too.

Muck diving does not refer to garbage - it refers to fine dark silty sand which is very easily stirred up. For novice divers who would like to see the macro stuff but whose buoyancy is still a bit variable - go for Manado side.

Lumbalumba have a good technique for finding the small stuff. They often have someone snorkelling above "spotting" who directs the dive leaders to the critters. How do they do it? Heaven knows, they must have eyes like binaoculars.

Lumbalumba - hot water, showers big enough for two, yes of course western loos, huge verandahs, views are knockout, food freshly cooked and fruit from the garden, drinking water tank, fridge, tea and coffee in the room, aircon and fan and patio doors (just how much cool air can a body take?), and clean clean clean (herself is very picky about that), and a generator. Is that luxury? And BBC News worldwide if you get some mad need to know what is going on in the world.

Back
Top Bottom