North Sulawesi, money, airports, logistics questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSista

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Greetings ScubaBoarders! We are heading off to the Bunaken Oasis and Kungkungan Bay Resort in just a week after having last visited 10 years ago.
At the last minute, I remembered a couple of things and hope you all can help me out.

1. I seem to remember experiencing weird exchange rate stuff there, having to do with which denominations of US bills we brought and the age of them. Any tips here?
2. Am also looking to confirm that the arrival visa is $35. Is that current info?
3. Finally, we are flying in through Singapore, arriving at about 1:AM and leaving at about 9:AM. Someone recommended an airport hotel (inside the actual airport), but I have found confusing info on their website, so any tips you all have would be appreciated!

I know it's a hodgepodge of questions, so thank you in advance for any current info you can share!

1. The best rate for USD are for the latest issued, clear, unused 100usd notes. Older and smaller notes are usually OK (maybe with slightly lower rate) IF they are in perfect condition! Anything other than that and you run the risk of them not being accepted at all! Alternatively you can withdraw from ATM, pay by credit card (much preferable when possible) or bank transfer or trade different currency (eg euros) because for currencies other than usd they seem not to mind their condition. Money changers don't have standard policies so if one shop doesn't accept your bills try another even if it is next door and you might get lucky. All these have happened to me.
2) free visa on arrival for tourists staying up to 30 days is usually used nowadays. Be careful. The stand to pay the 35usd is still there (for people who need it) and nobody will prevent you from paying, if you go there. Simply walk past it to the immigration officers.
3) Singapore airport is so nice that I could easily spend 8 hours in the terminal
Enjoy your trip!

Anyone know whether Indonesia uses C type or F type power outlets? I presume that they're interchangeable. (Yes, I understand the voltage and frequency differences!).

Greetings ScubaBoarders! We are heading off to the Bunaken Oasis and Kungkungan Bay Resort in just a week after having last visited 10 years ago.
At the last minute, I remembered a couple of things and hope you all can help me out.

1. I seem to remember experiencing weird exchange rate stuff there, having to do with which denominations of US bills we brought and the age of them. Any tips here?
2. Am also looking to confirm that the arrival visa is $35. Is that current info?
3. Finally, we are flying in through Singapore, arriving at about 1:AM and leaving at about 9:AM. Someone recommended an airport hotel (inside the actual airport), but I have found confusing info on their website, so any tips you all have would be appreciated!

I know it's a hodgepodge of questions, so thank you in advance for any current info you can share!

The best rate is usually in a larger bill and that has been my experience in most countries’ currency exchange counters. They often post the exchange rate difference for a $50 or $100 vs the others. They are usually very particular about its age and any pen marks, discrepancies from what it’s supposed to look like and will reject bills for being too crinkled, etc. You usually get a better rate from a local ATM (this usually goes for anywhere) but check your bank fees for ATM access and conversion.

No need to purchase a visa if you’re American. You get a visa upon arrival for tourism for free.

Singapore has transit hotels in different terminals so you don’t have to exit immigration. Happy eating - it’s a great airport to have a long layover at.

If your bills are a little less than mint condition, the banks seem to be more flexible about what condition they will accept and still give you the posted exchange rate. I used bank mandiri iirc which had a rate about 1% below 24h interbank for benjamins.

At the moment you will get a lot of Rupiahs for your USD. Usual power here is 220AC - 50 H. Round bi-pin (Europe standard)

Thank you so much, this was exactly the info I needed!

You have had great advice about logistics. However please don’t hang around the airport for eight hours. There is a transit hotel that is really good and is right in the airport. Google it and you can find it. Getting around is quick and easy in Singapore so if the transit hotel is full consider going a little outside , it’s honestly really quick and even if you just get a few hours sleep and some breakfast and a shower you will feel so much better. It’s a reasonable drive and or a boat ride to the resorts from the airport in Manado and there can be ttraffjx due to raid works....you won’t want to face that after all night in the airport , as lovely as that is. Enjoy your trip !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom