North Point Park, Canyon Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutchman:
Does anyone dive this lake? How is the vis?
I dove it with Shaggie back in January. North Park was closed so we entered at a boat ramp on the other side of the lake. Vis was pretty poor that day and temps were cold, but I still enjoyed the dive. I am looking forward to trying Canyon again. I posted a report here if you want to read it.

Willie

Dove it quite a bit a year or so ago. The vis was OK. The other features of the lake are, well, lake like! Give me shout if you go and want some company. I live in Buda, so it's same drive for me going to Travis or Canyon.

I dove Canyon lake at North park about 10 years ago on a trash cleanup in May and they were great dives. The vis was a good 20 ft plus and I believe there was a sunken volkswagon about 40 ft. Bring a knife with you, there was also a lot of fishing line snagged on trees, etc underwater.

Canyon closely mirrors Travis in visibility and water temperature. Sometimes better sometimes worse...I'm making a dive there probably the 18th and can give more details. Typically there's about 10' visibility along the 35' shelf where the platform, car and boats are. Down to the trees and newspaper box it sometimes opens up to 15' or more. As of last week the lake was down about 10+ feet, with recent rains maybe back up a little...I'll keep ya posted.

I used to dive it a lot. Now there is a fee, but it has been free to divers, so tell the money takers you are going in to dive when you enter North Park.

Vis is best on Thursdays, a bit worse on Friday cause some skip work and go to the lake, Saturday and Sunday have worsening vis cause of more gofaster boats.

One time we got surrounded in a column of circling fish, many hundreds of em. I think they were white bass. Night dives are interseting at North Park, you get to see bass and other fish sleeping on ledges.

You can get some depth, but it is cold. I'm an old fart now and getting less tolerant of cold. Bummer.

The Comal River is near North Park, the water is very clear, stays about the same temperature year round. It makes a nice night drift dive. The local shops will know where to put in and get out.

Bourne lake, in Bourne Texas, is free and very nice for a low vis, freshwater lake. This lake is not too far from Canyon lake. It is shallow but the fish are used to being fed and there are some good sunfish beds where the eggs are laid and cared for. The boats can't use internal combustion engines. There are a few trolling motor boats, sail boats and kayaks. It's a nice place to spend a few hours underwater feeding fish, or practicing compas swimming, etc, especially on a hot Texas day.

Last year, the people that take the money were charging divers and everyone to enter on Friday through sunday. It was still free during the rest of the week. I don't remember how much it was, but it wasn't cheap.

I dove North Park @ Canyone Lake on 5/4/06 at night. Vis was about 6-8ft tops around 35 ft. Temp was round 72 degrees. I dove Travis on 5/6/06. Vis was about 15-20 ft water temp was 71 degrees to 60ft. Below that vis opened up and temp was about 54 degrees.

Canyon had move life than Travis did. If you want to head out there some time let me know. It was once a great place to dive, but after the 2002 flood, it's very hit and miss.

I hope this helps.

hsnowden:
... Canyon ... was once a great place to dive, but after the 2002 flood, it's very hit and miss.
Canyon is still quite low isnt it? Maybe this year we will get some good rain for some of these lakes.

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom