North FL dive on the 27 or 28th?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d@n

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,
I'll be in Macon, GA on business the week of 4/25-4/29. It looks like I can most likely squeeze a day to dive out of this trip and asked in on this thread in the Deep Dixie Divers forum about possibilities. They pointed me here to inquire about the springs.

Anyone want to meet at Ginnie or another site close by?

I am NOT cave or cavern certified, and don't intend to enter the systems, just do some dives and have some fun.

Let me know if anyone wants to go and I'll bring my gear.

Thanks!

Ginnie's too far to squeeze in one day from Georgia. Try diving some of the springs in the panhandle of Florida. Off I-10 you could check out Cypress, Vortex or Morrison Springs. Cypress privately owned and is only accessible by canoe, which you can rent from Vortex. Vortex is clear but usually crawling with open water classes. I suggest a night dive there, it is completely different at night. Bring some cheese wiz to feed the freshwater eels. Morrison is a great dive when the water levels are below 6 feet or so, and it's been raining around here a lot lately so it may clear up by then. Other than that you could try the Destin Jetties or the St. Andrews State park jetties in Panama City Beach for some free dives. Dive an hour or so before high tide should give you pretty good vis. Or you could go offshore with Scubatech in Destin or Divers Den in Panama City Beach for some wreck diving.

Have fun! If you need anymore directions just ask!

d@an, i'd love to do Ginnie with you, but i am going to have a heavy dive
weekend on the 23/24, and I can't take time off to dive during the week

Thanks for the responses guys!

I'll check into Morrison, Vortex and Cypress.
Panama city is about 6 hour drive from Macon, a bit too far for a one-day dive trip.

I'm sure to be making more trips to Macon in the future so maybe we can meet up sometime down there.

Maybe I'll reconsider the jetties or a PC charter. Appears the springs are almost as far away.

It's really 6 hours? I didn't realize that, but if I just think of in terms that it's 5 hours to Atlanta from here so that sounds right. Check out Divers Den for some offshore trips. If you're driving all that way, it's worth it to book a charter, if the charter gets blown out you can always head one hour away to the springs. Vortex is always clear, so you'll get wet either way.

Have fun, give a shout if your back down and can spend a weekend. I work during the week, but I'd be able to make a weekend dive with you.

The 6 hour figure is from MapQuest and they are always very conservative. They show 6 hrs 19 minutes from Atlanta to PCB so it probably is really about 5 or so from Macon.
Thanks for the offer I'll let you know if I'm there over a weekend. I spend some time in Dothan, AL as well and that's even closer.

d@n:
The 6 hour figure is from MapQuest and they are always very conservative. They show 6 hrs 19 minutes from Atlanta to PCB so it probably is really about 5 or so from Macon.
Thanks for the offer I'll let you know if I'm there over a weekend. I spend some time in Dothan, AL as well and that's even closer.
Keep an eye on the calendar and trips section to see whats happening. My dive club out of Tallahassee does something nearly every weekend in the panhandle to Ginnie area, and you are welcome to come along.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom