North Carolina Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I dove with Discovery Diving out of Beaufort in April, we got on a smaller boat and 2 out of 5 of us threw up. 5 ft seas, I think... Definitely take Dramamine to be safe and try not to eat a huge breakfast before going out. That shop did not require an AOW. We dove the Caribsea which had a TON of tiger sharks around it.

I suspect you meant Sand Tiger sharks, aka Sand sharks? Actual Tiger sharks are whole different beastie, I think. I was on the Caribsea last week and I'm pretty sure the big flock of sharks hanging around were all Sand Tigers.

I suspect you meant Sand Tiger sharks, aka Sand sharks? Actual Tiger sharks are whole different beastie, I think. I was on the Caribsea last week and I'm pretty sure the big flock of sharks hanging around were all Sand Tigers.

Yes, stuartv, I meant sand tiger sharks, sorry. I wouldn't have gotten all up in their sh*t if they were tiger sharks. lol

I was on the Caribsea last week and I'm pretty sure the big flock of sharks hanging around were all Sand Tigers.

Don't be too sure of that. I have seen my fair share of bull sharks and sandbar sharks on that wreck. Funny how the real sharks show up when you start bagging the flounder. I suspect they are always lurking, but are s but more shy than the sand tigers.

Don't be too sure of that. I have seen my fair share of bull sharks and sandbar sharks on that wreck.
Good point. For many divers, the opportunity of diving with sharks can be mesmerizing, and it is easy to 'assume' that those big creatures are all sand tigers (and, not to worry). I was on the CS 2 weeks ago, and there were LOTS of sharks. But, all I saw (or, maybe all I noticed) on that particular trip were sand tigers. I suspect there were others lurking off the wreck, though, just as you mention, and the vis wasn't good enough to be able to see them on that day. Likewise, I never seem to see hammerheads swimming on wrecks, they always seem to be off in the distance - visible but not close.
PoloGreen94:
Planning on taking my first trip to North Carolina in a few weeks. I'm planning to do a quick one day, two dive, charter. I'm hoping to get to two of the wrecks assuming we have good weather.
Wasn't sure if a 'few weeks' would make it this weekend (29/30 AUG), or next (Labor Day). But, it would be great if you could share your experience, as someone new to our coast. What worked well? What was not pleasant? How was the diving? What would be your tips for other newbies? Many of us natives get used to the diving, and may fail to alert less familiar divers to things that may be important to them, but which we either ignore, or take for granted.

As others have said, I don't find the boat rides to be a problem. They can be boring, and finding a place to sleep en route can be a challenge depending on the boat. And, the experience may be affected by the operator and the size / speed / configuration of the particular boat. But, the rides can also be fun, particularly if you are on a good boat with good people. We cooked hot dogs and drank beer coming back in on an Olympus charter (on the Olympus) a couple of weeks ago (we brought the 'stuff' of course). I have only been seasick once in my life (my first coastal trip 14 years ago) and decided I didn't like it so I have never done it again. There are ways for most people to manage the process without drugs and avoid mal de mer (and I usually even eat the standard 'diver breakfast' - a lard-soaked meat biscuit - before most charters :) , without incident).

Diving the wrecks can be terrific, so-so, or awful, depending on vis and current. I enjoy far more coastal dives than I complain about. I have only ended two NC dives early, ever: once on the Papoose because I felt like I was swimming in a toilet bowl - lots of big particulate matter and really crappy viz - and once on the Dixie Arrow (normally a favorite wreck for me), because the water was cold, green, with crappy viz and moderate current, and it was just not fun.

Last edited:
Don't be too sure of that. I have seen my fair share of bull sharks and sandbar sharks on that wreck. Funny how the real sharks show up when you start bagging the flounder. I suspect they are always lurking, but are s but more shy than the sand tigers.

I suspect you are correct. I have pictures from NC of sharks in mid water. If one looks close and careful many sharks,the species unknown, can be seen looking like shadows in the background. Don’t recall seeing that many when I took the pictures but I guess it could have been because I was focused on the subject and not the background. They do tend to show up out of nowhere at times. I’m not sure if they are shy or hunting and want to check out all the activity from a distance where they can dash in and grab a meal if the opportunity presents itself.

I normally dive a bit further south at Wrightsville beach. This year I have seen a number of Sand Bar in addition to the usual sand tigers. One day on the Hyde we had several just circling the boat like they thought they were sand tigers. A few months ago I came around the bow of the Hyde and watched the largest shark I have ever been in the water with go cruising by. Definitely not a sand tiger and not a sand bar. Big, long, and powerful. So mesmerized I forgot to switch my camera to video.

The boats I dive on with Aquatic Safaris are a bit smaller. I know what you mean about fumes from my offshore fishing days but I have not noticed them on the Aquatic Safaris boats and I have over 100 dives on them. They shut the motors off during the SI unless they are moving to another dive site and then shut off once they get there.

We had planned to dive the Hyde on Sunday, but we got out there and a diving head boat was on it instead. We moved over to the Markham and did 2 dives there. A little disappointed we didn't see any sharks, but still plenty to see. It was good viz, current was mild but not terrible

Head boat is a term typically applied to large open access fishing charters. It also applies to larger dive charter boats.

Head boat is a term typically applied to large open access fishing charters. It also applies to larger dive charter boats.

As in high head count. Got it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom