Normally dive 6lbs lead - Stainless vs Aluminum BP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a standard thickness small steel freedom plate, and when I use it in warm water I’m negatively buoyant unless I’m wearing a 3 mm wetsuit and hooded vest. I do most of my diving now in cold water so the extra weight is usually fine, but if you’re diving in warm water without wetsuit, there is a good chance you’ll be overweighted with a steel plate, and you gotta lug that weight around with you.

Thanks for the feedback! Originally I though the SS BP would be perfect but I have heard that you drop weight requirements going away from a jacket style. I’ll start with an aluminum plate - upgrading to stainless won’t cost much if I ever decide to in the future
correct.
going to SS plate / BP and wing, you need less weight right away.
there are so many cheap backplates out there that you cant go wrong with just buying one and trying it out.

and.. you can always out a couple pounds on some trim weights on your cam band.
I have considered dropping down to a Alum plate myself and just leaving maybe 2lbs on my cam bands, even to travel with, as 6lbs SS plate too heavy for warm water dives, but Alum may be a tad light!

still can say "NO THANK YOU" when the question comes how many weights I need on the boat!!

Back
Top Bottom