Noob...to ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome. Hadn't heard of that place; did a bit of quick Googling. How did you come to pick that destination? Usually when far-flung tropical oceanic wreck diving is discussed, Truk Lagoon is what leaps to mind from the discussions I've read. Didn't realize the Marshall Islands were a 'thing,' too. Wonder why I don't see more trip reports on the forum? Hope you post one with photos and tell us about the practical aspects - getting there and back, what it's like topside, etc...

Richard.

Welcome. Hadn't heard of that place; did a bit of quick Googling. How did you come to pick that destination? Usually when far-flung tropical oceanic wreck diving is discussed, Truk Lagoon is what leaps to mind from the discussions I've read. Didn't realize the Marshall Islands were a 'thing,' too. Wonder why I don't see more trip reports on the forum? Hope you post one with photos and tell us about the practical aspects - getting there and back, what it's like topside, etc...

Richard.

I may be remembering this wrong but ... when my stepdaughter's family was there they were with the DOD and you had to get clearance just to be on the island. AND it was incredibly expensive to get there. If we'd been divers we would have paid the money to go dive there (and my ex was ex-military with expired clearances so we figured we'd be able to get there). You had to fly to Honolulu and then Guam and then there? I think? Of course things may have changed and you may not need a clearance anymore - and there may be more direct flights. But I remember her and her girlfriends going to Hono for a weekend of shopping. Not a lot to do on the island - and their ONLY means of transportation were bicycles. Great first few years for their kids - and they had a very nice salt water fish tank. :)

Welcome to SB, but forgive me for a posting that is a little off topic. When I saw your user name, my first thought went to the movie "Slapshot" and "Ogie Oglethorpe".

Welcome to SB, but forgive me for a posting that is a little off topic. When I saw your user name, my first thought went to the movie "Slapshot" and "Ogie Oglethorpe".

Haha, yes that's how I got the nickname...playing hockey and in a bit of Oglethorpe's style

Richard.

Yes I am here with DoD... you need a clearance to be here, but that said civilians can come under a sponsored program. United is the only airlines serving the Atoll and it comes from either Honolulu or Guam...they call it the Island Hopper lol

From SW Kentucky to here would cost about $3000 RT coach...lodging would be free/veryc cheap depending on your sponsor's situation. There are homes as well as barracks here. Diving is dirt cheap... $125 a year unlimited 28% NITROX or air tanks and you split the cost of boats... it's about $25-30/ two tank trip morning or afternoon...

I may be remembering this wrong but ... when my stepdaughter's family was there they were with the DOD and you had to get clearance just to be on the island. AND it was incredibly expensive to get there. If we'd been divers we would have paid the money to go dive there (and my ex was ex-military with expired clearances so we figured we'd be able to get there). You had to fly to Honolulu and then Guam and then there? I think? Of course things may have changed and you may not need a clearance anymore - and there may be more direct flights. But I remember her and her girlfriends going to Hono for a weekend of shopping. Not a lot to do on the island - and their ONLY means of transportation were bicycles. Great first few years for their kids - and they had a very nice salt water fish tank. :)

All of that is pretty spot on...you can get here from either Guam eastbound or Hono westbound...yes we only have bikes for transportation and tow our dive gear around on Kwajified trailers lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom