Noob returning to Diving after DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some really good advice here for you. I would echo the "get a computer and learn to use it" and "dive shallow" advice. Also the slow ascents (steel tanks could help you out here...) Apply KISS principles as you get back into the water to avoid task overloading. That would include skipping the spare air thing. You didn't run out of air the last time so more air isn't going to do you any good, unless you happen to be in deco, which you said you don't think you were. BTW, you CAN get bent without having been in deco...the risk increases with other conditions (such as being dehydrated, obese, being cold, stronger physical exertion, age, gender etc. etc.). I always try and stop for 3 minutes at half my maximum depth in addition to my safety stop. That is an easy thing that doesn't require any extra equipment or training.

Bonaire might be a good location to try...good shallow shore diving and I am sure a pretty good medical infrastructure for divers. But if you do decide to hit Cozumel, a consult with Dr. Piccolo might be worthwhile. He is a really good guy and knows a ton about dive medicine etc. In addition to being a GP (mine, here on the island) he operates one of the recompression chambers.

Last edited:
Hi...

Any constructive feedback is greatly, greatly appreciated...cause I never want this to happening (well, doing everything within my power to prevent it from happening) again!

Thanks...

Glad you are feeling better.

I have no specific training in medicine but would add (given that caveat) a few items to your list.

a) Be aggressive about staying hydrated. If you are not peeing clear or close to it, you are not getting enough liquid. Drink even when you are not thirsty.
b) Be very conservative on ascent rates -- this include maintaining good buoyancy control during the dive.. I would research the idea of "deep stops" and consider applying a similar method of safety stops (all while avoiding deco mode). A place like Bonaire can be very good for making slow ascents...and setting your own pace of diving.
c) Take some days off of diving -- I like to go 3 on, one off. Check with the Doc.
d) Avoid other possible risk factors such as alcohol and pre-dive runs (both can cause dehydration) as well as post dive things like free diving and hot tubs.
e) Consider buying at least some of your own gear -- make sure the BC fits well (fighting your gear is a very bad thing!)
f) Stay to your depth and time limits (ignore anyone who tries to lead you down another path) and resume your diving slowly and in a relaxed and unhurried manner.
g) Consider somewhere that has a house reef or shore dive that is shallower -- this will allow you to do your dive profiles at your pace.

As far as dive table software, you could look at something like v-planner (you would be using something like 5% of what the program can do) or use tables or use your dive computer.

I strongly encourage the purchase of (and learning) a dive computer. I think computers can be abused (diving right to the edge of it) but I think they can provide a bit of a safety net as well. How? Depending on the computer, you can set a max dept alarm, set an ascent rate alarm, etc. In addition, many have an ascent rate indicator that will help you learn to slow your ascent. Finally, if you end up deeper than planned or stay longer than planned or ascent quicker than indicated, the computer can penalize you in an appropriate manner. Note: Still, pllan the dive and dive the plan.

Last edited:
I think the GC doc gave me some specifics, but I don't think I wrote them down. I just googled again, and found a Dive Doc (ENT doc, board certified in Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine by the American Board of Preventitive Medicine) at Mass General, I think I will go see her :)

I was thinking about getting my own gear, just so it's one less thing to worry about on a regular basis (especially after reading the accidents section of this board...there is so much more that could go wrong than a noobie even would dream about!!). My challenge is going to be excitement and the fact that I've been a competitive swimmer all my life...Even now, I can spend 8 hours underwater in a day and feel perfectly comfortable. The only 2 dives per day, I think, is going to be toughest part...I love them fish and like to be active. Guess I'm going to have to seek out destinations that also have good snorkeling. I think I also need a 'it's the DCS, stupid' tatoo right next to my computer :D.

I'm a big planner, so even if I could run some simulations before the trip and daily, I would help keep my excitement in check in the moment. Is there a software (or excel) version of the tables? That would also help me have a conversation with the dive operator before the week even begins.

Thanks for the specific recommendations. It really does help!

Haven't kept tabs on this thread but in terms of getting your own gear - Deffo. It makes a world of difference having all your stuff, fitted moulded familiar. I'd personally be a bit horrified having to use unfamiliar kit. Or worse unfamiliar rental kit. Don't go there!!

I took an unprovoked DCS hit in Coz a couple of years ago. Prior to that I had often gone on liveaboards with days full of 5 dives a day for 6 straight days with no problems. In Coz when I took the hit my profile was easily within any guidelines. A true "unexplained hit BUT there were some other factors which if in a control group would have made for interesting study. I walked 4 miles each way to and from town the night before on a hot muggy August evening. Pretty sure I was dehydrated. Where I'm from single digit humidity is not unusual. Dr. Piccolo suggested I get checked for a pfo upon my return. I had one and had it corrected. After 6 months I returned to diving (yes, some liveaboards but I limit myself to 3 or 4 dives a day. Although hydration is not considered a "proven" cause of DCS you couldn't sign me up as a disbeliever. Another issue is the Grunt factor. holding your breathe as you climb up out of the water. I'm very careful of that now and I am VERY slow to rise the last 10 feet of the dive. I try to take 30 seconds for the last 5 or 6 feet. Of course now I virtually always dive on nitrox. Those are the adjustments I have made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom