Noob intro and need fins mask, boots, and snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bavarian5

New
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've never dove before but in about a month I'll be taking a scuba certification class through my school. With that being said, I am in the market for a snorkel, mask, fins, and boots. I don't want to go overboard as I usually do with every outdoor equipment but I just want to something reasonable. I cant say for sure a price range because I have no idea whats reasonable for these things. But if you guys could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated!

Mask: any low profile that fits
Fins: several paddle type fins at reasonable prices
snorkel: cheaper the better as you will not carry one later. or buy foldable one to carry in your pocket
boots: firm sole one

If you think that this is something that you will continue with then I would encourage you to buy the best that you can afford. If you are just in it for the college credit and may never dive again then go cheap. Do your homework. There are tons of opinions. Discover what works best for you. There is nothing worse than a brand new piece of equipment that you spent good money on only to discover that it does not work for you. Good, well fitting, quality equipment goes a long way when you are diving. There is nothing worst than irritating, ill fitting, $hitty junk it will ruin a dive everytime.

If you think that this is something that you will continue with then I would encourage you to buy the best that you can afford.

Keep in mind that the best is not necessary the most expensive.

I have 3 masks ranging from $70 to $15 and best one I have is the $15 one.

I spent $100 on split fins where I should have gone with $50 paddle or perhaps splurge (as I did later for $140 F1s). If I went with $50 paddle I would probably still dive them (turtle fins or something like it).

Snorkel, I stand by what I said. Get the cheapest one as you will not use it for long. Or go with folding one to carry it with you in a pocket nicely rolled in.

Boots have to fit (and fins have to fit on those boots) and hard sole is probably better unless all one will do is boat diving.

check your pm. i have all dir equipment for sale and would like to move it to a new diver who is just staring out.

wendy

check your pm. i have all dir equipment for sale and would like to move it to a new diver who is just staring out.

wendy

PMed wrong person :)

Go to Walmart or Big 5 Sporting good stores for cheap snorkel mask. They are good enough for beginners and they generally last long enough until you get a real diving mask.

If it's gonna be a one time thing, you may just wanna buy an all-in-one kit from Sports Chalet, Big 5 or something like that. If it's something you think you'll wanna do regularly then it's worth it to spend the extra money to get good gear.

Mask: Atomic Frameless, Atomic Subframe, Mares X-Vision, Oceanic Shadow, Cressi Big Eyes. Fit/comfort is most important, but all of the aforementioned are very well-regarded and worth checking out.

Snorkel: Tusa Platina Hyperdry II, Aqualung Impulse 3. I don't even use a snorkel anymore when diving, but sometimes I snorkel/freedive and I'm glad to have a good snorkel. I have the Tusa and love it...but I've also heard a lot of good things about the impulse.

Fins: I would also recommend a paddle fin. Hollis F1, Mares Quattro, Scubapro Seawing Nova, Mares Volo, and Mares Excel+ would all be good fins to look at.

@iztok
I just got the F1's a couple of weeks ago and love them! Powerful, precise, and even easier to kick than my Quattro's were...great fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom