Non Diving Trip Report May 3rd - 17th - Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobra269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Trip Report – Non Diving May 3rd – 17th

ACOMMENDATIONS: Have stayed twice at the Wyndham Sabor last year but didn’t want an AI this trip. Rented a 1 bedroom condo at the Residencias Reef next door to the Wyndham for 2 weeks at a cost of $1500 US. Couldn’t be more happy with this choice. Great view of the pool and ocean (located on the 3rd floor in building 4 next to the Wyndham Aura). Maid service is provided daily except for Sunday if you want it. 2 pools, 2 flat screen TV’s with cable (think it was Dish), full kitchen, large bathroom and shower, free calls to the US, free internet access and a washer and dryer (cut down on the amount of clothes we had to bring). All you needed to provide is the food, drinks and you. A short 5 min walk to the Wyndham pier for dive pickups. They also have rinse tanks and shower by the pool for dive equipment. Maybe the off season but never more than 4 people on the beach or 8 at the pool unlike the Wyndham beach. Most of the time it was empty. Like having your own private resort. They also have a safe in the bedroom closet that you set your own code too.

View from balcony
P1090226.jpg

Pool View
DSC00539.jpg

TRAVEL: We lost one day because our plane broke. Woke up at 3:45 AM for a 6:40 take off from Huntsville, AL flying American. Boarded plane at 6:15. Out the window I could see the co pilot waving over maintenance personal to look at something. Not a good sign. Flight cancelled. Couldn’t make a connecting flight to Cozumel so had to come back the next morning and try again. This was the first time out of the US for my GF so upgraded us to first class from the flight from DFW to Cozumel for $150 each. What can I say - she is worth it. She had not flown in years so didn’t want a window seat. Now its window seats from now on after looking out the window from DFW to Cozumel. All the immigration forms AA had were in Spanish – thankful my GF knew someone on the plane (a patient’s daughter who was fluent in Spanish – go figure) so we had everything filled out correctly before landing. There was 1 other plane that had landed before us but all their passengers had cleared customs by the time our bags came off.
Both of us got the green light and were on our way within 30 mins of landing. Took the airport shuttle to ISIS and our vacation begins. Had changed dollars to pesos at my local bank before leaving which made it easier. In fact my bank charged me $5 for the transaction but gave me a lower rate which turned out okay since the dollar had dropped some since the exchange.

RETURN: Arrive at airport at 12:30 for a 2 pm flt. Long line took 20 mins to check in. By the time we finished there was no line. So maybe next time won’t arrive until 1 hr before flt. Flt full and arrived DFW after 2:30 hr flying time. Going through immigration and customs took 50 mins from the time we left the plane. A real surprise after my last visit last Aug which took 1 ½ hrs. Hung out at the airport until our connecting flt to Huntsville. AL. Flt took off 15 mins late for a 1:25 min flt. Arrived home safe but sad.

CAR RENTAL: Once again booked with ISIS. A 4 door VW with A/C. So glad we decided for the A/C. What a wonderful person Margarita is. Took less than 15 mins and we were on our way. We left the car at 6 am one morning at her shop to catch the ferry to PDC and upon our return 2 days later the car was waiting for us (no charge for these 2 days). While we were gone she told me her husband didn’t like the looks of the tires so all 4 were changed. If there was space in front of her shop we would park there while visiting the square. Sometimes they would even move a car or scooter to make room for us. Each time we left the car we would head over to the Zermatt Bakery and buy her a coffee. Even offered to give me pesos when I went to the bank to exchange US dollars for pesos and forgot a copy of my passport. Said just come back tomorrow to pay me back after I did the exchange. How wonderful is that. When we left we gave Margarita all our left over booze and some other items we didn’t use and didn’t want to haul back. Thought this was a better idea than leaving it for the maid who we only used 3 times during our stay. She was surprised and very grateful. Never had any issues with the local police. Did have 1 person on a dive trip state he was stopped for speeding at 7 pm south of town when he knew he wasn’t. Said he would go the police station to pay the fine. Officer let him go.

FOOD: We ate all local food except for some Skippy PB. We are not big eaters so take this in consideration.

The condo maid provided a service to prepare dinner. Cost of food plus $8 US per person. Cost us $400 pesos for the food. At first I thought it was too much. But had a sampling of Mexican food with 3 different entrees, rice, beans, etc., and enough to feed us for 3 dinners and 3 days of lunch. Well worth it the money for the convenience and home cooking.

Wet Wendy’s: Went for drinks numerous times (strawberry, peach, and mango margaritas), but only ate once. Listen to live music on two nights with the owner playing one night. Chips and salsa with drinks. Had the soft chicken tacos. Enough for the 2 of us to share. Thought the prices were high before I saw the portion size of the plates of people around me. We tried the peanut butter chocolate margarita. A great after dinner dessert drink. At first offered a 11.5 exchange rate but dropped the second week to 11.

DSC00726.jpg

La Choza: (10th Ave between Calle 3 and Rosada Salas) First had drinks and then walked around the square before returning for dinner. Had 1 beer and a margarita. Had chips and dip included with dinner and split 1 entrée. Forget the name of the entrée but it was a slow roasted pork dish in a red sauce. Service with both corn and flour tortillas. Very good. Also lemon soup that came with the dinner. Also very good. Cost before tip $24 US.

DSC00567.jpg

Parrilla Mission: (30th Ave between Calles 2 and 4 norte) Had 1 beer and a margarita with the combination plate and charcoal grilled pork chops (3). Chips and 2 kinds of dip included with dinner. Cost before tip $26 US. Excellent food and a great price. We walked away stuffed. Our favorite restaurant for dinner.
Del Sur Argentinan ( Corner of 5 th Ave and Calle 3) Went twice for dinner. Once brought back to condo the other went and sat in the square and people watched. Tried the following empanadas: spinach (our favorite), cheese, bacon and plum, tomato, cheese and basil (they give you a small container of basil and oil for dipping) and the apple cinnamon (like eating a small apple pie). Made fresh to order. Cost was between 15 and 20 pesos each if memory serves me right. If you are taking them home make sure you place some napkins under them to soak up the excess oil. They are to die for.

DSC00742.jpg

Casa Denis: (1/2 block north of the square) 4 beers and 2 strawberry margaritas and the Mexican combination plate. More than enough food for 2 people. Cost before tip $42 US. Ate on a Sunday night. Great for people watching as folks make their way to the square. Also had lunch on our departure date. We had cheese empanadas (3 to the order and they were awful), chicken quesada (4 small triangles – so so), side of beans, 1 beer and a strawberry margarita. Cost before tip $22 US. Our worst meal of the stay. Will skip eating here on my next trip.

Combination Plate
DSC00788.jpg

Zermatt Bakery: (Corner of 5th Ave and Calle 4), 2 buildings down from Isis. Had been buying pastries at Mega until we tried this bakery. Sampled numerous items and extremely reasonable priced. Breakfast each morning was taken care of. Would buy 2 days worth each visit. Favorite was a custard filled bun and a flat pastry - chocolate filled. Dough isn’t sweet like in the states. It was trial and error. Some we didn’t care for - others we really liked.

DSC00780.jpg

Went to Coconut’s for drinks 1 day. Great view. Watch the bill. Tried to over charge us.

P1080984.jpg

DSC00548.jpg

Stopped at one of the bars on the south side of the square. Advertise 2 for 1 drinks for $5 US. Drinks okay but very small (both together would not fill a normal margarita glass) and salsa was so hot we couldn’t eat it.

Don’t know the name: (Ave 30th and Calle 4 norte, you will see the chickens roasting). 1 chicken and 2 sides with corn tortillas and a green sauce. Easily enough for 2. He cuts up the chicken in front of you after taking it off the spit. Sides are in little plastic bags. Watch out for the green sauce – it will light you up. Took the chicken off the bone and had left over’s for sandwiches. Very tasty. Cost $80 pesos.

Blue truck: (At the light at the international pier make a left about 1 block down). Had 4 soft tacos for 10 pesos each. Chicken, fish, beef and ham. Each taco came with 2 corn tortillas and each had enough filling to divide - so ended up with 8 tacos. They wrapped them up after we added the condiments provided and then took them to the square to eat and people watch. Favorite was the beef and fish.

DSC00818.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

PART 2

Shopped at both the Mega and Chedraui for groceries. Prefer the Mega except for the Retina A which was $2 US cheaper per tube at the Chedraui. The Mega deli was great and some of the bakery muffins were very good. We picked up cold cuts, cheese, etc to make sandwiches and of course beer, booze and mixers with snacks. A little disappointed with some of the fruit – very little taste. Watermelon was excellent as was the small finger bananas. Mega offered an 11.5 exchange rate while the banks were 11.90 when we were there.
Service: Was excellent in all places except for the lunch at Casa Denis. Most of the places were basically empty and the servers were always coming by to see if everything was okay or if we needed more drinks. Welcome change from being in the states.

MESSAGE: Gave my GF 2 massages at Sally’s the Barefoot Massage in Cozumel. She really enjoyed them and stated the best she had ever had. The massage is a full hr with the first visit adding ½ hr to go over medical etc. Sally really worked on her trouble spots and gave her some stretching exercises to help her in the future. I can’t explain the look of her face after each massage. So happy and content, wish I had my camera. While she was getting the massage I would walk to the square and have a few drinks, usually at Wet Wendy’s.

TUCAN SAILING : Very easy to work with. ($80 US pp) Made reservations and paid deposit via PayPal. Show time 9 am and left the harbor at 9:15. Great directions on how to get to the marina. Had 2 no shows so 14 passengers with 3 crew members. The crew was fantastic, friendly and professional. No one was from a cruise ship so no time constraints. Turned out to be a 7 hr day. Always made sure you had a drink in hand even made frozen ones to order. After leaving the marina, headed toward the mainland and then north. On the way to the first snorkel spot, chips and dips (guacamole and pinco de galo) which were made in front of us were served. Lunch was chicken wings, beef fajitas, beans, pasta salad and left over dips, all cooked on board. Food was excellent. Did the snorkeling spot and then to the beach (we both stayed on board). Then lunch followed. Guest wanted to try the spinnaker rides. Crew informed everyone there wasn’t enough wind but they broke it out anyway. Crew was right. We both agreed 7 hrs was a bit long but we got our money’s worth.

We took 1 afternoon to drive around the island. Always a great drive to look at the ocean and see some sites. Walked around the square and international pier a couple of times the first week looking and pricing items. Figure we would do all our buying the second week after looking everything over. Prices sure did drop when we told the vendors that we were not off a cruise ship but staying for 2 weeks.

Went to the town square twice on Sunday night. A great time listening to the band playing and watching the locals. Vendors were also out. Woman would be selling food off of card tables that they cooked at home. Had some flan – very tasty and cost only 10 pesos. Very nice breeze the first Sunday but on the second no breeze. Very hot and humid. The second Sunday very crowded since they were doing the weigh in from the fishing tournament.

Tried to arrange horseback riding with Rancho Buenavista. But after 3 emails starting in Dec with no response I gave up on it.

Negative Point. I booked a fly fishing trip on line with Cozumel Fly Fishing for our last Sat. Didn’t know until I had paid through PayPal and received my conformation email that I was going through My Shore Tours. Sent numerous emails (with no response) and tried calling their 800 number at least 10 times with no answer to cancel. Once home had to dispute the charge with my CC company. Have also taken it up with PayPal.

Notes:
1: You will need a copy of your passport to exchange dollars for pesos at the bank. Think the limit was $300 per day and $1300 US per week. Saw shops in town that were giving up to 11.5 when the banks were giving 11.9 exchanged rate.
2: Bakery goods are out in the open as are other items. A real surprise for my GF being her time out of the US. There will be metal trays and tongs for you to use and once loaded up go to the bakery counter and they will wrap and bag your items.
3: Before you add any condiment to your food place a small amount on your figure and taste it. The degree of hotness varied greatly between restaurants and no better way to ruin your food than apply something on it that you can’t eat.
4. All places we visited served corn tortillas except one that served both.
5. Make sure you make it to the town square on Sunday night.
6. Neither one of us every felt ill during our stay. Being meat and potato folks we did go through some Tums.
7. Some vendors didn’t seem too happy that we paid in pesos and not dollars. Guess they were looking for the 10 to 1 exchange rate.
8. In front of every store and restaurant the employees were out trying to get you to come inside. Was fun listening to what each had to say. We would just smile and keep going.

Favorite Sayings:
1: Visiting the leather shop at the International pier. GF states these are not real coach purses to which he replies – they are almost real.
2: Heard twice – things in my shop are cheaper than Wal-Mart.
3. Last day counting my peso coins off the square. One vender saw my pesos and yelled out – he has pesos so everyone within 50 ft could hear.

DSC00706.jpg

After 2 weeks of total of total bliss it only took 15 mins to realize it was over once at DFW airport. Immigration personnel yelling at everyone to make sure they were in the right line, etc. It was back to reality.

I agree with you about Casa Denis. I think it's very over-rated. Did Wet Wendy's give you a 25% discount on your 2nd and subsequent visits? They told me they do, and also for locals.

Thanks for posting an interesting and detailed report. I don't like to drive, therefore I don't rent cars when I'm there, but have cruised around with friends who do. I honestly don't know why anyone would go anywhere else to rent but Isis. Good prices, clear communication, friendly people, excellent service. Margarita and her family are gems. The stories I've read about beater cars, credit card fraud and sketchy insurance problems with other companies - you will never hear any of that with Margarita.

Awesome report, can't wait for part 2!

Part 2 has already been done. It's the second post in this thread. You just missed seeing the title typed out in non-bold font at the very top of the post.:idk:

Thnx for the info

Grrreat report!
Thanks for the comment about culture shock when returning to the USA -- the connection airports are nothing compared to the major differences from Cozumelenos I face on the second leg of my journey back: Imagine, if you will, a hundred or so New Yorkers!!
Since you're a meat guy, try Del Sur's parilla menu during your next stay -- reasonably priced, delicious, too much food.
The chicken place at 30 Norte & Calle 4 is called El Triunfo. You won't see the name unless you stand on the west side of the avenue!
Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom