Non-diving spouses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone on this board formulized it quite well:

1 diving spouse + 1 non-diving spouse = 2 non-diving spice... (or was it spouses)?

killer idea!

I'm kind of in the same boat as you (I hardly think this is a rare situation), and my personal thought is - I get to dive locally as much as I want, that's 70-80 dives a year. For that, I'd gladly give up 5-10 dives during vacation time.

This is exactly my solution. And YOU live in San Diego. I can't see what you're questioning. Go on the Euro vacation- you can dive every other weekend of the year. Maybe next vacation you can go on a tropical cruise. Plenty to keep her busy, and you can go diving then too.

um, have you ever been to eastern europe over christmas and new years? not a good situation. and yes, i do dive not every other weekend, but every weekend: cold and dark. it's now a time and money issue, so having to give up an opportunity to go dive where it's warm and bright; can you see my dilema? and no, most cruises aren't going to cut it; we're both athletes and a cruise would make us both go bonkers... that and the fact that the diving associated with most of those cruises usually sucks unless you're into the usual tourist stuff...

well, let me know when you're here. i've got my own boat and we may be able to work something out. experience depending, we usually do some pretty deep and cold stuff so stay in touch.

I myself am quite fortunate. I have a wife who is a non-diver but she knows how much I love it and pretty much lets me dive however much I want. Of course I offer her in return time away to do some of the things she likes too.

She is so great that she is willing to let me sneak off to Cozumel in the middle of the Canadian winter with my dive buddy, while she stays home with our 3 kids. One of them being a new baby 3 months old.

I'm thinking I got to bring something real nice for her from the Island!

thanks for the great reply. that's what i'm thinking, seperate vacations... but doesn't that suck? i know i'd really like for her to be down south with me but she can't deal... you guys handle it OK i'm assuming?

Married one just like that. I dive and shoot competitively. She does neither and thinks both are kind of silly. Met her before I became certified and a long time before I started competing so I guess she has seniority. Wanted to buy a boat but got vetoed on that too.

Sounds a little sad but we bike, hike, karate and camp together and she gave me a wonderful son and a wonderful home. She tolerates my hobbies and doesn't give me a lot of guff as long as I balance my time so that the family time still happens.

On the down side, I want to do a live aboard but the cost of a single gets a little tough and she gets sea sick so she isn't gonna go along. My boy as several years before he is old enough to shoot and dive but I can be patient.......

sounds like you've got it wired... maybe i need a more tolerant girlfriend...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom