Non-diving friend thinking about doing that underwater scooter/helmet thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just read the TA Q&A. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
Madness, right? Diseases (not being ableist, but a person with MS does not seem like a good candidate), inability to swim, DEAFNESS! (again, not being ableist - we’re all pretty much deaf underwater, but there are standard hand signals, and what about the safety briefing?), glasses??? Just gotta swim out there with them in your hand, and pop them on…oy!

Basically what the title says. The place is Aquafari in Curaçao. The reviews and Q&A on TripAdvisor are a lesson in insanity.

“I have MS, can I do this?”
”I can’t swim, can I do this?”
”I weigh 280 lbs, can I do this?”

Yes, yes, and yes. 😳. Granted, they only go 25-30 feet deep, but it seems very likely that one could fall off one of those scooters. And who knows if there’s hypertension, diabetes, serious claustrophobia, etc. involved.

I told my friend to call her doctor for clearance (she has controlled diabetes and controlled hypertension), and if the doc says OK, to get DAN insurance. Am I overreacting?

I have a huge # of logged dives of all types under my belt, under lots of challenging conditions, and my first reaction was nope, nope, nope. I don’t want to ruin her fun, but I’m a safety girl. Thoughts?
I definitely think those excursions can be a disaster waiting to happen for some individuals. However in your friend's case it would depend. I do agree that a discussion with your friend's Dr. is a good idea. Especially, if this is a PCP that is somewhat familiar with your friend and scuba diving.

Just because the outfit allows people that should most likely not be underwater doesn't necessarily mean that it would be dangerous for your friend.

I definitely think those excursions can be a disaster waiting to happen for some individuals. However in your friend's case it would depend. I do agree that a discussion with your friend's Dr. is a good idea. Especially, if this is a PCP that is somewhat familiar with your friend and scuba diving.

Just because the outfit allows people that should most likely not be underwater doesn't necessarily mean that it would be dangerous for your friend.

She called her doctor and he cleared her. The only reason this came up is because she asked ME if she should do it. I noped out of that question and told her only her doctor can make that determination.

Then I started reading about it, and I didn’t like what I was seeing. But yes, it seems the vast majority of people do it without a problem. I just personally don’t like the idea. That’s a “me” problem. She’s going to do it, and I didn’t rain on her parade.

Back
Top Bottom