Non-current sensitive sites: Puget Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcurtis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. I'm a newer diver in Seattle. I'm looking for good sites that are both non-current sensitive for newer divers.

I'm learing the tide tables and optimum conditions for other sites, but I would like to have some easy go-to sites when there aren't good slack tides on the weekends.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

There are some. In the lower puget sound, there is Les Davis, in Tacoma. Fox Island west wall. Redondo Beach, i think in Federal Way or Des Moines. Of course, Hood Canal is always good, just a bit of a drive for you. And Im sure there will be other posts as well.

Well, Seacrest coves are non-current sensitive. Three Three point has a little but it's nearly always south.

I'd also suggest trying some easier sites with a little current with some more experienced divers to get the idea. Or taking an AOW class. Try Titlow Beach or Edmonds, which have some current, but are fairly predictable.

Jack

Even sites that are not "current sensitive" can have current on a big exchange at max flood/ebb. Here's a good site to check the currents in advance.

Tides at Seattle, Washington

Make sure to check the current predictions for the area you want to dive. Tide tables and current predictions are independent of each other.

Relatively current insensitive sites are:
Close to Seattle Seacrest (Cove 1, 2, 3) are your best bet. Cove 2 has the most to see. I have over 30 dives at Cove 2 and always find something new and interesting on each dive.

http://www.pnwscuba.com/sitemaps/cove2.gif

Redondo Beach in Federal Way

Mukilteo "T" dock - The muck can get deep quick so make sure to monitor your gages

Here's a good reference for divesite information and reviews:

The Perfect Dive : A diving resource for scuba divers in the pacific northwest

The best reference for trying to predict currents is the book "Pacific Northwest Shore dives". It's out of print but you can pick it up used on Amazon. I also use "Pacific Northwest Tide and Current Tables" by Peligia Scuba which you can find at most dive shops. Mishi Carter publishes the book and teaches a class which I would highly recommend.

Cove 2, Redondo and Les Davis are standard "I can dive anytime" sites. I have encountered some weird and fairly strong currents at Redondo, though.

The Alki Pipeline and the Edmonds Underwater Park are diveable in most moderate exchanges, even if you are a bit off slack. People say that of Three Three as well, although I have few dives there and one where I thought I was going to end up in Japan.

Almost any site is diveable on slack, but currents don't always match precise predictions. Some sites, like Day Island Wall and Skyline, are places that you might not want to try on big exchanges, even if you think you have the times down pat.

There's ALWAYS someplace to dive, even if it's Cove 2 . . . again. I've seen the biggest GPO in the open in Cove 2, and my one six gill shark, and the hagfish. The dive's never dull until it's over, and even then, it's a dive, so it isn't dull :)

My suggestion is to pick up a copy of "Northwest Shore Dives" by Steve Fischnaller. It will give you a ton of information on local dive sites. Also read the introduction section, as there's some valuable info in there on how to use current tables for dive planning.

One thing I love about this book is that it gives you both the current station to use for each dive site AND the corrections to apply to the station for that particular dive site. I've found the information to be quite accurate.

It's an invaluable dive planning toool ... especially for the new diver.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Harper's Pier outside of Port Orchard, across the bridge from Tacoma, is a no-current site that offers outstanding diving. It only gets to about 30 feet, but there's a treasure trove of structure, including a sunken 60 foot trawler, that supports an incredible array of life. It's one of our all-time favorite spots. We probably have close to 50 dives there and it has come through every time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom