Non-cooperative DCI patient

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is sidetracking a bit, but couldn't the forms be changed in a way that don't require divers to disclose what they may have had and just say the diver presented a dive certificate stating they were fit to dive?

This is sidetracking a bit, but couldn't the forms be changed in a way that don't require divers to disclose what they may have had and just say the diver presented a dive certificate stating they were fit to dive?
Nothing needs to be changed. The only pupose of the medical questions is to allow the instructor to advise whether you need a doctor's signature. If you show up with a signature, you are good to go. Doesn't matter if you had none, one, or all Yes answers.

If you go diving without even filling out a medical form will your dive insurance cover you?

Last two weeks I dove on a dive boat - they asked if you have dive insurance (note they did not require it - just asked) and if you are in good health. That was it - Signed and printed my name.
I am not a doctor so how would I know if I have any current health issues? I have regular annual checkups and they are clean - who is going to deny any claims based on that?

If you go diving without even filling out a medical form will your dive insurance cover you?
I don't see how it would impact coverage. First off, it is dive accident insurance, not medical. There are no health/medical questions to buy the insurance. And as BRD pointed out, much of diving does not even require the medical form. In fact, the only time I have needed it was for classes. None of the dive boats I have been on ask for any medical info period.

Last edited:
I've often had to fill out a one or two page form with numerous questions requiring yes or no answers. At one location was advised that a yes answer would require me to go to the local dive doctor to get "permission" to dive.

Ever since that time, I always have "no" answers even when there's no reason to nexpect a doctor's visit will be required. All that said, I'm unlikely to try and get a berth on the SpoilSport. :wink:

Nothing needs to be changed. The only pupose of the medical questions is to allow the instructor to advise whether you need a doctor's signature. If you show up with a signature, you are good to go. Doesn't matter if you had none, one, or all Yes answers.

Not sure. The problem is not the purpose of the questionnaire, is the fact that in many places it's mandatory. The diver needs to have it filled in and signed and by doing that can disclose medical information. There is nowhere in that form a place where one could skip the questions and tick a box stating that the diver has presented a valid medical certificate and then sign the form.

Not sure. The problem is not the purpose of the questionnaire, is the fact that in many places it's mandatory. The diver needs to have it filled in and signed and by doing that can disclose medical information. There is nowhere in that form a place where one could skip the questions and tick a box stating that the diver has presented a valid medical certificate and then sign the form.
All you need is page 2 of the form with the doctor's signature. No need for page 1, which is where the diver's signature goes. This is information from PADI legal regarding PADI classes.

Back
Top Bottom