Nomad Setup = Single / Double & Sidemount! Really??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vtxkev

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a question about the Nomad setup. I am being told you can dive it with a single tank or doubles or sidemount. That sounds like it isnt entirely true as I see so many posts about needing different wings for different set ups. I am looking to purchase gear and I am just torn as to what to buy.

You "can" use a Nomad for singles, doubles, and sidemount but it was designed for sidemount. You can do it in a pinch, but you would be much better off w/ separate rigs.

As we speak, my husband, who recently purchased the Nomad system for side mounting, is reconfiguring his rig. After diving a single tank with an old BC today (and swearing that he'd NEVER wear a BC again), he is removing the buttplate in preparation for his upcoming single tank dives at Invade the Keys.

Hi,

Good question! The Nomad is designed for sidemount-style diving. The wing is designed to give preferential lift around the hips...where sidemount divers need buoyancy because wearing tanks along the side tends to promote "heads-up" buoyancy, so the Nomad wing counteracts that.

So...if you are a diver who is prone to being heads up in the water and you want to give more lift around your hips and you wish to have a rig that can dive singles, doubles or sidemount the Nomad is a good fit for you.

However, if you are looking for one rig that does it all perfectly...that doesn't exist. You should purchase a harness/wing set up designed for the primary diving that you do. If you primarily dive singles, then a Travel or Venture wing is going to be your best fit.

If you primarily dive sidemount, but occassionally jump in with double tanks or go on vacation and want to do a single tank boat dive one day as a break from sidemount diving, you can wear the Nomad.

To find out what wing is right for you, check out our Solution Finder. You want to pay close attention to what a wing is designed to do, not simply what tanks it fits. Example: the Nomad is designed to give bouyancy around the hips...etc.

Best,
Kathleen

Best,
Kathleen

Thank you Kathleen, this is kinda what I thought, but no what some others were trying to sell me on. I applaud your honesty and not using yes it all works sales tatics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom