Noise on Blizzard when breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jupitermermaid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I bought a Sherwood Blizzard last year (first stage Oasis SRB7700, second stage Blizzard SRB7900) brand new. My SO has decided he wants to take up SCUBA, but has claustrophobia issues. I decided that he should get used to breathing out of an air tank while wearing a mask comfortably at home before we hit the water. After I hooked up the reg to an air tank and tried breathing from it, every time I exhaled it made a noise (almost like farting.....excuse my language, but that's the closest thing I can think of that describes it). It's on every exhale, but quiet during the inhale and very breathable. What can I do to stop the noise on the exhale? I want my partner to be able to enjoy diving without being distracted by noises. Thanks for any advice.

Nothing is wrong with the reg. It will not make the noises when it is wet. My Blizzard makes the same 'farting' noises when dry.

With more than 500 dives?, I am surprised that you have not encountered that noise before. It is present in many regs when breathed out of water. It is the dry exhaust diaphragm vibrating. The vibration/noise goes away when in the water.

The regulators are designed to be used in the water and it is very common to hear the vibration described when used above water. There is nothing wrong with the unit. We hope your new diver enjoys the underwater world after they get the training they need.
Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

Thanks for your help, guys. My LDS said the same thing about the diaphram when I asked them. My SO came over last night and had no problem "dry diving", so I'll be calling my instructor to start his lessons! My SO was more comfortable breathing out of the Sherwood than the other reg I let him try.

Keyshunter, I never used the reg before. I bought it last year, but never used it until now. Hopefully it will get LOTS of usage once my SO gets certified. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom