Nocturnal Lights SLX 800t - LED EXCHANGE, is it possible? - Some Bricolage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

migcalado

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

First off all I would like to excuse my self for this kind of approach and thank you for your attention and help in advance.

The question is that I'm a amateur scuba diver, recreational from Portugal, (the OCEAN Water in here, Algarve, is quite green and we have viz average about 5-10m), and I have one of those torches for night and day dives (  Buy and review Nocturnal Lights SLX 800t LED Dive Light - Technical Package with Neoprene Hand Mount   ), actualy it cost me less than the price announced in this site. But anyway I would like the light a bit brighter than the one it is now, about 800 lumen. Is it possible to exchange (unsolder one) one of those 3 LED installed and install (solder in the same place) one of this (  1PCS LUMINUS SST-90 LED 2300 Lumens LED_SST-90 LED Series_DIY Accessories_HI-MAXMALL  ), the intention is to swap one by the new one. Is this possible? Dimensions and without any other changes? If not, in your knowledge is there any king of work or changes that I can make to improve the lumen in this torche?

Thank very much in advance for your attention and help.

Best regards,

Miguel C. Calado Glória

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2013 at 09:49 PM ----------

No one up to help?

Thanks!

Problem is energy . With 6AA you have 6 x 1,2V x 2,7Ah = 19,44 Wh *0,8 = 15,5Wh

soyou are limited with 15Wh of energy in theory SST-90 (30W led ) could work on 30min but also driver would take some energy

I would stick in your case with single Cree XML top bin & some (1100lm / 4V/3A (12W) will work 1h) simple driver but also that cost some money.

Much better is to buy some cheap powerful lamp like with good reputation ( will work longer and brighter as yours modified )

DRIS Dive Gear 1000 Lumen Dive Light | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

and goodman handle you could buy also on these pages (look threads)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...oodman-style-handle-dris-1000-500-lights.html

Hi Lucca,

Thank you for your reply and help.
In case that i go for the cree XML 1100 Lm, do i have to change the driver or I can just swap one of the existent fir the new one. Just unweld one and weld the new XML in it's place?

Thanks for the help.

MCCG

Leds in SLX 800t LED Dive Light are 3 x 3W . They needs probably current arround 1A (connected in series ) in case of XM-L you'll need up to 2,8 - 3,0A if you want bright.
In your case I would conect battery pack 3 bateries in series and both pack in paralel . In that case you 'll get from 4,2V-3,6V on output and 2x2700mAh =5,6Ah.
For driver use just resistor or two of them

1400mA Constant Current Regulated LED Driver Circuit Board Module (3~4.5V) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

or one

http://dx.com/p/17mm-2800ma-5-mode-...84?rt=1&p=2&m=2&r=3&k=1&t=1&s=127685&u=127684

if you have some electronic skills you might made your own from low drop linear driver

With this change in the battery pack the remaining 2 3W LEDs will not be damaged?
Can I still use the driver that is in the torch?

Thank.

MCCG

How many lumens should I expect from those ones?

I found some 3900 mA batteries for sale on eBay, they should increase the burn time.

Back
Top Bottom