NOAA's equipment specs after the Healy ice diving deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If these are the same deaths that I read about then I don't think that this will help things at all. My reasoning is this, it was shear stupidity, lack of training, and a failure to follow the rules that were already in place that got them killed. All this is, is more rules to break.

They need to have someone in charge that is an experienced diver for the conditions they are diving and one that will enforce the rules. A dive locker check every three years is not going to help.

My $0.02 cents

I mostly agree with the WetRookie: The Healy accident was pure Darwin, and the
new NOAA stuff doesn't address the REAL problem: the divers hadn't been diving for a
while. And they hadn't been diving in the gear they were diving (which was grossly
overweighted, but the REAL problem is "hadn't been diving"). They shouldn't have been
diving that rig in 100' off Seattle, much less under ice. Divers need to get their weighting
and skills wired in shallow water (BEACH DIVES!) before they move on. And before
get in the shallow salt, get the weighting right in a pool (it's high school physics, not
rocket science) first.

Chuck Tribolet:
I mostly agree with the WetRookie: The Healy accident was pure Darwin, and the
new NOAA stuff doesn't address the REAL problem: the divers hadn't been diving for a
while. And they hadn't been diving in the gear they were diving (which was grossly
overweighted, but the REAL problem is "hadn't been diving"). They shouldn't have been
diving that rig in 100' off Seattle, much less under ice. Divers need to get their weighting
and skills wired in shallow water (BEACH DIVES!) before they move on. And before
get in the shallow salt, get the weighting right in a pool (it's high school physics, not
rocket science) first.

Totally agree. Furthermore:

...topside support should put their beers down and resist the urge to let out 200 ft of rope.

...rope signals should be discussed with all staff before getting in the water.

...an experienced diver/supervisor should be on hand to stop any nonsense before it gets dangerous

I decided to take my question one step further for those of you who are interested in the Scubapro vs Oceanic regulators mentioned in item #9.

sent to: eric.t.johnson@noaa.gov

Dear LT Johnson,

A number of us rec and tec divers at Scubaboard.com were reviewing the recommendations made in the NOAA DIVING SAFETY BOARD RECOMMENDED ACTIONS RELATED TO THE USCGC HEALY DIVING INCIDENT. Regarding Item 9: NDC complete replacement of all Scubapro regulators with new Oceanic model for all NOAA divers diving in <50º F water temperature, could you tell us which models of Scubapro and Oceanic were being referenced, as well as what design features or performance testing results led to the choice of the Oceanic over the Scubapro?

I will post on this thread any answer I receive - Chris

lamont:
hmmm...

is someone at NOAA getting kickbacks from DUI?

With the weight and trim system, I have always questioned the likelyhood of those massive rings gettting caught on somthing and getting pulled out.

I personally don't dive one, but I think that NOAA should look into getting a bp/w for their drysuit divers.

I love my Delta 4, but I can't see why they would swap out scubapro's. If the Mk17 or 25 w/ a 600 was the same price as the d4, I would be diving that.

This is good news for oceanic though, maybe people will start taking them seriously.

Well - I've waited for a week now and have not received a reply to my e-mail as shown in Post #14 - guess I've been "slammed" by the Coast Guard. - Chris

I read the entire report, it seems that the only thing that went right was they tied the divers off so that their bodies were recovered. They were diving in water that was so deep the sonar could not give a depth reading.

Spratman:
NOAA has revised equipment standards after the death of the two ice divers off the USCG Healy.

Revising the equipment standards will not address "terminally stupid"

Have followed the Healy deaths from the beginning, without comment.

But now I feel I must say something. Having been diving in the high Arctic some time back I had the pleasure of doing so alongside an American TV film crew, all of whom were using Oceanic environmentally sealed regulators.

Guess what? They ALL freeflowed! One of the divers had a particlularly nasty experience, so much so that he thought of ditching his camera equipment.

NOT my choice of regulator for anywhere near ice!!!

Seadeuce

vladimir:
Are they limiting the weight or just limiting the non-ditchable weight?

I believe they are just looking at the non ditchable weight. If I remember right from reading the official findings, all of the divers were grossly overwight with only about aprox 20 percent of it ditchable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom