No Whales For You! - We came up empty on whale snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
No Whales For You! - We came up empty on whale snorkeling
My first time heading down to Okinawa to try my chances at snorkeling with humpback whales. In this area, the mothers birth in the warm waters around Okinawa, then around Feb to March, they begin the migration up to the arctic waters of Russia and Alaska to fatten up during the summer season. There will also be some mating action with males before departing.
I was able to see some surface action on the weekend that I went, but the weekend before was much luckier. We had no in-water interactions on our weekend. The boat will put snorkelers in the water and curious whales will pass close by. Newborns can be curious I'm told and approach snorkelers. The whales left Okinawa to migrate earlier than usual. Next year, we will try again in February.

Man every winter east of Brisbane Australia we are seriously spoilt during weekend diving every weekend
an hour into the ocean whales are everywhere along with the divers oohs and the ahs with these massive
creatures breaching and singing and swimming with us be great if someone had a debarnacleising station

I'll try send a few up there

Thanks jagfish

Man every winter east of Brisbane Australia we are seriously spoilt during weekend diving every weekend
an hour into the ocean whales are everywhere along with the divers oohs and the ahs with these massive
creatures breaching and singing and swimming with us be great if someone had a debarnacleising station

I'll try send a few up there

Thanks jagfish
I'd like that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom