No trolling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To troll is to post a deliberately inflamatory comment for the purposes of inciting near hysteria and hyperventilation among the more escalated keyboard-pounders on the board. Trolls get a huge kick out of the resulting cyber-riots and poo-flinging.

Hence, trolling is frowned on.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

Doc

I don't like it when everyone assumes someone is trolling because THEY cannot handle the question.....there should be a word for that too. I remember this guy diving with Pakistani Special Forces and complaining that they did not have a pressure gauge, even though they were diving shallow, etc. Everyone started screaming "troll"! I think it is much more likely that it actually happened than that someone would make it up for a reaction....I just usually do not see it. I find it really interesting to hear about different diving, cultural/ regional diving practices. I guess the idea is SB does not want to advocate any unsafe practices. Just hearing about it isn't that dangerous though. I mean, in Micronesia, the locals will grab a tank, jump in and go to 170 just carrying the tank, to fetch a tourist's camera. I think you need to be a little more "shock-proof" to travel to really primative places and since travel is a huge part of SB, we should be interested in hearing what happens out there and not have certain things be too taboo to even report.

i think that's en excellent point, C

sometiems we're too fast to call someone a "troll"

Uncle Pug:
Here is a good article on internet trolling:
http://hometown.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

Thanks that's a good read Uncle Pug! I was never really sure if Troll kind of meant a mean creature living under a bridge waiting to jump out and snap up a free billy goat lunch or when you invite your dive buddy to go trolling for sharks and plan to use him/her for the bait!:05:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom