NO SECOND DIVES! ANY IDEAS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all. Initially, I was led to believe that I was NOT equalizing properly on DIVE #1, and that was causing the issues in DIVE #2. So I went on a few trips and really took my time on DIVE #1...Constantly, equalizing all the way down...No problems. But DIVE #2 was still affected. Ok, so I guess the consensus is: A) Speak with DAN about getting in touch with an ENT, and then B) Trying some of this decongestants. OK. Thanks again.

Are you an excess phlegm type of person to start with?
Have you ever explored the possibilities of certain food allergies?
I for instance am allergic to dairy products and can’t drink milk or overdo half & half in my coffee.
Cheese will also mess me up and certain greasy things will mess me up too. It makes my ear tubes sticky and slimy - hard to equalize and feels goopy.

Consider eliminating mucous forming foods like dairy or other foods that can cause allergic mucous excretion reactions.
It could be a long term solution.
Rather than always masking the problem with drugs, a better solution might be to search for the root cause.

Is it congestion in ears, or congestion in nose/sinus?
Do you remember to equalize the mask? Ie, remember to breathe out through the nose once in a while?

have you thought about a saline (sterile) sinus rinse after the first dive?

I have not participated previously because I have never seen exactly what the OP describes, but I have seen something similar. Unfortunately, I will say upfront that I have no explanation, and many years ago a thread I started on the topic provided no help, either.

I sometimes have a similar experience, except it happens during a dive. It is always near the end. I will be having just a wonderful time and then, suddenly, I am completely stuffed up. Sometimes I take my mask off and sneeze, blow my nose, whatever. Fortunately, because it is near the end of the dive, I don't usually have serious equalisation problems. It is also pretty rare--like once or twice a year. As soon as I get out of the water, it goes away--completely.

The same thing happened to an instructor I was assisting in the pool when I was a DM. Suddenly, in the middle of the class, he was completely stuffed. He could not get to the bottom of the pool. When he left the water, he was fine. He said it had never happened to him before.

I know this does not help--but at least you know you are not completely alone.

Do you have any underlying conditions like environmental allergies? How's the smoke been in your area? Is there a possibility that you're going into the dive with mucous membranes that are already irritated?

I think that @Ghost95 touched on an important point. It sounds like you could be waiting too long to equalize your ears on the first dive, which could bring about some mild barotrauma and inflammation. Equalize before you even leave the surface, then, as @Ghost95 advised, early and often, even if it doesn't feel like you have to.

I also wonder if you could be getting some sea water intrusion into your mask that then goes into your nasal passages or the back of your throat. That could cause irritation and inflammation too.

Best regards,
DDM
Im also interested in what and how much of a anti-fog you using in the mask?, and is this possible being the irritant causing the mucus response ? just another thought !...I have switched to Johnson baby shampoo travel size an just a small amount works for multiple dives.

Im also interested in what and how much of a anti-fog you using in the mask?, and is this possible being the irritant causing the mucus response ? just another thought !...I have switched to Johnson baby shampoo travel size an just a small amount works for multiple dives.
That's a good callout about the commercial de-fogger being irritating - I tried it once and went right back to spit.

That's a good callout about the commercial de-fogger being irritating - I tried it once and went right back to spit.
Some people use commercial de-foggers. I have managed to do 400 dives with spit only. The waters are +4 Celsius here so all the possibilities for fogging exist. If it happens, I just flood my mask and clear it.

Sometimes I can do one dive but a second one becomes impossible. Or I can dip deep once, not twice.
One option is to wear double back mounted tanks, or to be a sidemount diver, and thus carry twice the amount of gas. One long dive instead of two short. A non-commercial CMAS dive club might help you with that. Maybe.

Go to Bonaire (or some very less spectacular shore diving mecca) spend a week diving in the shallows, creep down the sand to depth, on every dive. Keep every dive above 45' for a few days. I bet you will be doing 3 or 4 dives a day in no time. Or you will become an excellent kite surfer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom