NO SECOND DIVES! ANY IDEAS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

360GUY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thank you, in advance, for all your help guys. I'm very frustrated here as I really love diving, but here's my issue. I have an AOWD with EANx certification.

First dive (of a 2-tank trip), is fine. Equalizing presents no great difficulties. Average depth hovers between 45ft - 80ft. Ascend is normal with usually a 3 minute safety stop.

The moment the dive ends, I can feel the congestion building. After about 45 minutes (Surface Interval), I'm pretty congested.

Second dive attempt is always aborted. Can not equalize. It appears that the congestion is too great that no pressure can be relieved through equalizing. Can not get deeper than 15ft.

I've tried basic decongestants in the past, to no great success. I got a bit scared when experienced divers told me about the dangers of decongestants, that wear off, at 85ft...Yikes!!! I don't need that.

Is my destiny "1-tank" trips from now on? I won't do it. Too expensive. Any thoughts. Thanks again.

I had a similar problem sometimes when I started diving....
I have found, even underwater.... blowing your nose alot, and horking up a hair ball helps alot,, after the dive and during second dive.. if you are getting 15 ft you must be equalizing a bit..
Try doing nice long dives for now....
Till you get use to the dry air....
or get a rebreather :wink:

I've used the 12 hour decongestants in the past, none have worn-off during a dive. Haven't needed/used any in a longtime. If it's still around Afrin 12 hour worked for me but that was long ago.
A DAN referred ENT is the way to go, if it's something that can be corrected rather than just treating the symptoms that's the best outcome and something you should know about.

12 hour pseudoephedrine doesn’t wear off during a dive. I use Zyrtec D daily for allergies. I’ve used it for years.

One other thing that I'm sure you'll hear again.

If you've gotten to 15' without equalizing you've gone way past where you should have equalized. Equalize every couple feet and slow the decent.

Other than that see an ENT like others said.

Good luck. I hope you figure it out.

Thank you, in advance, for all your help guys. I'm very frustrated here as I really love diving, but here's my issue. I have an AOWD with EANx certification.

First dive (of a 2-tank trip), is fine. Equalizing presents no great difficulties. Average depth hovers between 45ft - 80ft. Ascend is normal with usually a 3 minute safety stop.

The moment the dive ends, I can feel the congestion building. After about 45 minutes (Surface Interval), I'm pretty congested.

Second dive attempt is always aborted. Can not equalize. It appears that the congestion is too great that no pressure can be relieved through equalizing. Can not get deeper than 15ft.

I've tried basic decongestants in the past, to no great success. I got a bit scared when experienced divers told me about the dangers of decongestants, that wear off, at 85ft...Yikes!!! I don't need that.

Is my destiny "1-tank" trips from now on? I won't do it. Too expensive. Any thoughts. Thanks again.

Do you have any underlying conditions like environmental allergies? How's the smoke been in your area? Is there a possibility that you're going into the dive with mucous membranes that are already irritated?

I think that @Ghost95 touched on an important point. It sounds like you could be waiting too long to equalize your ears on the first dive, which could bring about some mild barotrauma and inflammation. Equalize before you even leave the surface, then, as @Ghost95 advised, early and often, even if it doesn't feel like you have to.

I also wonder if you could be getting some sea water intrusion into your mask that then goes into your nasal passages or the back of your throat. That could cause irritation and inflammation too.

Best regards,
DDM

The 12 hour Afrin decongestant does not wear off during a dive either.

You need to identify what is causing this reaction, could be the dry air, could be the cold water, could be you have a cold.

I dived all the way through a cold (yes, people still get colds) back a few weeks ago. I hit the decongestent before and between each dive. Of course there are colds and then there are colds and mine was pretty minor.

James

We use Allegra-D on dive trips. Since usually mulit day trips we use the 24 hour variant. Seeing a dive ENT certainly can't hurt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom