No more DVT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gtoph

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heard a rumor that Oceanic isn't going to make first stages with DVT anymore. I've got an old reg that has it, and I don't have any complaints with it. Just curious if that's true and the reasoning there... just decided it wasn't worth it anymore, or if there was actually an issue with it?

I certainly hope so. It's a gimmick. It will not keep water out deeper than say 18-24 inches in a dunk tank if you leave the cap off. I got my Oceanic tech cert about they time they came out with it. If you hit it with a garden hose it'll allow water in. I specifically ordered my personal regs without it. All it did was add to the price. It's extra parts at service time as well to mess with. It accomplishes nothing that good ol fashion care will do. In fact I saw a few nasty regs because it seemed to promote carelessness.

Just my observation on regs brought in for service by a few vacation divers. "I didn't know I had to use the dustcap as well! It has that thing to seal it." No, sorry. It's for when you accidentally leave the cap off. It doesn't replace it.

Oh ya, not disagreeing there. It's not a replacement for 'no dust cap', but it's more of 'whoops, dunked it, and I forgot to put the cap on'. Seems like a good idear anyway, and like I say, haven't really had any issues with my current one. Just curious as to the change though as it did seem like a selling point for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom