No mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c555

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just reading on another tread that in tech classes you have to take off your mask and open your eyes w/ no mask for part of the dive. In fundies/tech 1 do you need to be able to funtion w/ no mask and eyes open? Thanks

For fundies, you need to be able to calmly replace your mask. It its a good idea to learn how to function without a mask, however.

Note that even without having a DIR attached to it--you should be able to function without a mask on underwater anyway. Too many people freak out underwater after having their mask kicked off or ripped off from the current. If, before you start your dive, you do "cold water treatment/exhalation drills" and breathe off of your regulator underwater with no mask and your eyes open, you will calm yourself down greatly, and will be able to function much better without a mask if such an even happened.
So the main idea here is that while you have to be able to deal with it in Fundies and Tech 1--it's probably a skill that you should feel comfortable doing beforehand--not only for the class but also for diving in general. :)

Edit: directly out of the Fundies book, on page 18:
"It is not uncommon for individuals who are just learning how to dive to have trouble clearing their mask. However, many certified divers continue to have problems with mask clearning; and that is disurbing . It is essential that divers master this fundamental skill; inability to properly clear one's mask will inevitably lead to stress, and possibly panic, when one's mask is flooded or kicked off. Struggling through disconfort and frustration in the pool when learning to clear one's mask is far better than panicking when one's mask is dislodged while diving The former may be uncomfortable; the latter is life threatening."

onfloat, are you saying that I need to be cofortable with my mask off and my buddy guiding me or that i need to be able to guide myself with no mask? Thanks

c555:
onfloat, are you saying that I need to be cofortable with my mask off and my buddy guiding me or that i need to be able to guide myself with no mask? Thanks
It's difficult to impossible to guide yourself well without a mask, unless you are following a guideline (such as in cave class). Everything is blurry underwater with no mask, so having a buddy to assist you is essential. However, you can still receive and process visual information, even without a mask. For example you might be able to tell if someone is trying to get your attention by signaling you with their light.

Having your eyes open is also sometimes useful for monitoring and maintaining depth, if there are visual cues in the area. For example, you might not be able to see your buddy clearly, but it might be possible to make out where they are, and you can use that reference to help you maintain your own depth. Of course, you can also use pressure changes in your ears to do the same thing, but it's usually easier to rely on vision for this.

In any event, it is not that difficult to move around underwater while keeping one's eyes open. It's just something that most people don't ever think about or practice. The more comfortable you are with this skill, then the less likely it is that a lost mask will be anything more than a mere nuisance on a real dive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom