No Local Dealers or Local Service for DrySuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hawkenph

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
HI all,

Since I was asked to start a Thread about this. I will. Where I am at there are no Local Dealers for Dry suits which also leads to no servicing for a Dry suit. Which leads to buying online and dealing with UPS back to the Dealer/ Company that deals with Dry Suits. So, what can a person do for servicing,etc? All comments and suggests are welcomed.
Kurt in Cebu, Philippines

Maintain it yourself. When you need seals buy them and install them. Learn to repair it yourself, it is not very difficult.

"Service" on a drysuit means lubing the zipper, cleaning, and protecting the seals with your seal saver of choice, be it talc powder or UV protector etc.

My self personally, I would be very reluctant buying a drysuit online. Unlike a wet suit that is very forgiving, when it comes to size a drysuit is not. Unless of course you go the custom route. Still it is a very large investment for something you can not try on prior.

Also replacing seals is one thing but I would not attempt to replace a zipper, and it's not that I am not mechanical, or have the ability. It's just that I believe some things are better left to the experts who do it all the time. And a guarantee doesn't hurt either, nor does it hurt when referring to warranty work.

It is apparent that drysuit diving in the Philippines is not very popular which leads to my next question as why you feel you need one. Do not get me wrong, in the US navy diving manual volume one, chapter four operations planning, section 4-10 figure 4-9, the navy clearly shows being in a drysuit at water temperature starting in the sixty degree area. And do not forget that this is for divers doing moderate work underwater. So A drysuit is justifiable.

I was just wondering why you felt you needed one.

The main reason I have is this.My immune system was compromised when I was in the Army (chemical Warfare). And I don't want to risk getting sick. Which will stop me from diving and living a normal life. Plus, I don't want the Doctor Bills (even though the US Govt is suppose to pay) But, let not go there,ok?? lol
Kurt in Cebu

You bring up a very good point. As a result of all my hospital stays my immune system has been compromised also. I am always catching pneumonia, all the time. In my case I tend to avoid a lot of human contact. As you know, not much fun.

It's funny, as in my case I have never even thought of diving as getting me sick. Maybe it's best not thinking too much into things. But in my case, as I suspect in yours, there's a lot of planning that goes into simple, everyday routines.

I am sorry for your condition and wish you the best of luck.

Maybe the government could spring for a drysuit. They seem to like spending money on everything else.

I bought a drysuit after catching a serious tissue infection after wearing a wetsuit.
My feet had been soaking in my boots all day and after my last dive I walked barefoot on the beach.

The skin on my feet was so tender that a small rock caused it to break and it let in a very nasty bacteria.

Five weeks of intravenous antibiotics fixed the problem but it was an ordeal.

Now I dive dry and had no problems. I am even looking for a warm water dry suit.

DUI makes the model 30/30 and I am looking for information from users on it's performance.

If I lived in a place where there is no facility to maintain any type of equipment I would certainly get the proper information and do it myself.

A lot of dry suit maintenance is pretty easy to do. I have worked on intake and dump valves, put in p-valves, and replaced wrist seals. I haven't done neck seals, but that's for two reasons: you need to find a proper form to hold the suit opening smoothly, and I have a local dive shop who does this inexpensively and often.

I don't know that I'd be brave enough to replace a zipper, but that's something you're only looking at doing every three or four hundred dives, so it might be worth the UPS hassle for that.

Sizing of dry suits IS an issue, so you might want to look into something like the Whites Fusion, which is forgiving of fit. I have used my Fusion (with the sport skin) in warm water diving, and I love it.

Zippers are actually really easy to do (Unless it is an old CF200 because the neoprene delams). Neck seals do take a form of some kind, but that is easy to make too. Think it through and then go to work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom