No garage, no hose. I live in apartment. Caring for equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mostly just wondering if it's ok to touch or leave out of a bag, etc. And if smaller pouches that came pre sealed in little bags with clothes, etc. would be enough to do the trick.

Well done. Beyond well done. That's more than many divers do to clean and store their gear. Dessicant is really gilding the lily. I have never used dessicant and never noticed any mold on my gear after rinsing, hanging to dry in my shower (like your setup) for a couple of days, and storing in a plastic box. Anyway, with your measures in place, your gear may outlast your lifetime.

Before I had a garage, I would rinse what I could at the marina if I was on a sea dive. Then have a proper rinse session in the bathroom when I got home. Everything would live there for a few days before my wife would tell me to put it away. Luckily, I had a large wardrobe where everything could be stored. I don't bother rinsing anything after a quarry dive.
I still rinse everything in my bathroom as we don't have a hosepipe. Things like my cylinders, fins, backplate, wing, etc live in the garage. Regs, drysuit, and undersuit live in the house.

My son was on a salt water dive trip and did not do a through rinse of his gear on his last dive day as he expected to do several more. The weather did not cooperate and they never got out again. It never occurred to him to do a proper rinse when he got back.

2 weeks later we went for a dive in the St Lawrence and his inflater stuck open. He released the hose and reattached it about 15 minutes later without incident. I guess the salts had dissolved.

Don't they have self-serve car washes in the PNW? Just don't use full pressure on reg internals or other softer things.
It's not the same pressure but I regularly hose-off my BCD and other soft goods after trips at home b4 storing them. Soak regulators in the sink.

Also if your diving includes any travel, most shops, boats, resorts have rinsing facilities/options. I rarely bring wet gear home anymore since there's usually at least overnight to dry it - 24hrs. if doing a lot of dives the previous week - but I don't dive local either.

A little late to the thread.... My wife and I used to soak our gear in the bathtub all the time... no worries about plumbing.... hang everything over the tub, curtain rod, hang from the shower head, etc to dry. . . . . . . . . another option to indicating dessicant is rice... Seriously. Go to the store and buy the 20 lb. bag of cooking rice. Place 3 or 4 lbs. of rice in a T-shirt, nylon stocking or similar and lay inside your plastic tub. Rice makes an excellent dessicant. It smells a bit like rice though. Refresh the rice approximately every six dives to ensure that your rice is dry.... not really suggesting this; but FYI.... cat litter also makes for an excellent dessicant. Use in the same method as rice.

Dessicant.....Check with your local motorcycle shop.
New motorcycles come in wooden crates for assembly by the cycle shop mechanics.
Each crate has a 1 POUND bag of the stuff to keep the humidity from rusting the parts while the motorcycle is being shipped from rice~land.
They usually throw it away when they uncrate a new motorcycle. For a 12-pack of beer you can probably get all the desiccant you want.

I'm just a noob, but last Saturday we finished our OW pool sessions on dry suits and brought them home with us until our OW dives in a few weeks. I have a small apartment with no garage or other outside space.

I placed a plastic storage bin in my bathtub and rinsed everything off on it. Larger items like dry suit I used a plastic pitcher to pour water over. I have a folding drying rack for clothes that have to air dry. I put the drying rack in the tub, and draped dry suit over it. Removable dry suit boots were turned upside down in between rails on the rack. I also draped my regulator set over it. I fully inflated my BP/W and set it on a towel on the bathroom floor. Mask was left out ona towel on bathroom counter to dry. I draped dry suit undergarment over a chair to air out.

It worked well although I did have to move everything temporarily out of the tub the next day so I could shower. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom