No fly time on a puddle jumper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is the flight from Grand Cayman to Brac or Little Cayman enough to cause one to follow the no fly rules?

DSAO take care.

Found this on the DAN site

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=20

Plus this little tid-bit.
------------------------
Revised Flying After Diving Guidelines for Recreational Diving - May 2002
The following guidelines are the consensus of attendees at the 2002 Flying After Diving Workshop. They apply to air dives followed by flights at cabin altitudes of 2,000 to 8,000 feet (610 to 2,438 meters) for divers who do not have symptoms of decompression sickness (DCS). The recommended preflight surface intervals do not guarantee avoidance of DCS. Longer surface intervals will reduce DCS risk further.

For a single no-decompression dive, a minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested.
For multiple dives per day or multiple days of diving, a minimum preflight surface interval of 18 hours is suggested.
For dives requiring decompression stops, there is little evidence on which to base a recommendation and a preflight surface interval substantially longer than 18 hours appears prudent

From http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/altitude.html

ALTITUDE EXPOSURE RECOMMENDATIONS (waiting time in hours)

Maximum Altitude
After Diving Minimum Delay
Single, Low Stress Dive Minimum Delay
Multiple or Deco Dives

1000 Ft. (300 m.) none (low stress) 6 hrs. (mod stress)
2000 Ft. (600 m.) 2 hrs. (low stress) 8 hrs. (mod stress)
4000 Ft. (1200 m.) 8 hrs. 12 hrs.
6000 Ft. (1800 m.) 12 hrs. (F.A.D.) 24 hrs. (F.A.D.)

Unfortunately, I could not copy the table.

Based on this table, it is likely that you will need to follow the guideline. We can not tell how well pressurized your plane is. My experience with military puddle jumpers say the pressurizing system of some plane is pretty bad. I would be conservative and assume that your plane is not pressurized. Most puddle jumpers in Hawaii would exceed 15000 ft between the islands, based on my recollection.

As I recall, that flight spends a lot of time climbing, so I'm pretty sure they exceed 2000 feet.

On the flight from Little Cayman to Grand Cayman last year, I sat on the center of the front row and saw the altimeter reading 6000'-7000' for a good deal of the flight. I was really surprised since I assumed that they would be flying lower--for no other reason than a SWAG.

I have been on 12 seaters in the rockies where cabin pressures dropped to 12,500 ft.

A pilot's perspective: yes, adhere to the flying after diving guidelines. Why? Even if the flight plan is to climb to 2000', it's very possible, especially in that area, for clouds to build up during the day. A pilot might easily decide to climb above them to avoid the turbulence associated with being under them (the air above is almost always smoother).

But you cannot know ahead of time what the pilot/crew will have to do...so play it safe, stick with the guideline, IMHO.

I was trying to figure a way to dive a couple of days in Grand Cayman and then onto Brac but I guess we will just head onto Brac to start with. Do not want to chance anything nor lose any dives. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom