No fin fight, OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loose the split fins, if your going to be doing cavern at the very least go for the dive rite exp's, but even the dive rites are not the best for Frog kicks. for anything technical diving there is a reason why everyone use's the Jet fins or the Hollis F1s. I have a set of dive rites for recreational diving and a set of F1's for all my tech diving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm thinking about taking cavern and instructor doesn't like splits. I totally understand because of the type of diving and alternate kick methods. I don't want any jet, jet clones or any fins that feel like a piece of plywood strapped to your feet.

Ask your instructor what he recommends, and why. Chances are very good that he/she will recommend that you buy a pair of Jets, Jet clones, or some other fin that feels like a piece of plywood strapped to your feet.

There's a reason for that. For the type of diving you're asking about, you need two things: control and torque. To get that, you need a stiff fin. No two ways about it. Some like the DiveRite EXPs, others mention OMS slipstreams or the Hollis fins. They are not as heavy... but they are also not as stiff.

As mentioned above, there's a reason cave divers almost universally dive Jets.

I spent my first almost 30 years in SP jets. About eight years ago I tried out splits. There is a HUGE difference between the various models. I do photography and need fine adjustment ability. I tried the Apollos and found them to be too floppy for any fine control. I settled on SP twin speeds which are VERY stiff. I absolutely love them and don't like going back to my jets anymore. I have NO problem frog kicking or even backing up. The fine movements are just fine. And the power in currents far exceed my jets, IMO.

Try stiffer splits, if yours are not doing what you want to do.

I'm posting this hoping I won't get a fight started over fins. I've been diving for 4 years and have had my Atomic splits from the beginning. I like them and they've served me well except for the frog kick and a few times caught in a ripping current. I've tried to do frog a few times with my splits and wasn't happy with the results. Part of it was undoubtably operator error but even split owners that are happy with their fins will not (honestly) say they prefer splits whem doing frog or back kick.

So, why change? I'm thinking about taking cavern and instructor doesn't like splits. I totally understand because of the type of diving and alternate kick methods. I don't want any jet, jet clones or any fins that feel like a piece of plywood strapped to your feet. I would like fins that perform well in a current, easier than splits to do frog and back kick. Oh yeah, they have to be neutrally bouyant. I am a warm water diver and don't want trim messed up.

Thanks in advance

Who says you can't use one fin for open water, and one for cavern? I wear a 3mm wetsuit in Cozumel, and a 7mm in lake Huron. I have never wasted time trying to find a compromise wet suit, and I don't see why I would waste time trying to find a compromise fin.

I started with Mares Avanti Quattros, and they are good fins, but I got a cheap deal on some OMS Slipstreams and have been happy with them. I know what you mean about 'plywood' fins but you do get used to them quickly, and now I really like that feeling.

The quattros might be a good transitional fin for you... if you lived closer I'd sell you mine:)

I've tried Quatros, they were just too big and stiff, but you could try the Plana X3, it's just a bit smaller and more compliant than the Quatro that you could make the jump from splits. I've tried splits, but I just don't care for them; however my wife loves them.

Much like shoes, most of us will end up with more than one pair.

I've tried many fins now and my favorites have been my Hollis F1's. I've been given or bought cheap at thrift stores several pairs of Jets, Rockets and their various clones and they've just never seemed to fit right. In comparison, the F1's have a much larger foot pocket. Prior to the F1's I used Plana Avanti's and they were a decent fin for a cheap price, but they got chewed up easily and were much lighter. I've got a pair of Biofins as well, and while they work fine, I find I just don't like splits that much. I once dove them back to back with the F1's, and while I think the splits were just as fast and efficient, to me they felt like a couple of spaghetti noodles flopping around on my feet.

I've also got a couple sets of full foot fins. One set of free dive fins sized to be worn over neoprene socks and one set of slightly shorter older fins that I think were precursors to todays free dive fins. I really like these fins a lot too, but in a lot of ways they aren't that suitable for scuba. First off, free dive fins are huge. They're not exactly the kind of thing you want for diving in tight spaces. Second, free dive fins won't work very well with most drysuits. If you want to be the fastest guy without a scooter though, then free dive fins are for you.

PS - if you're asking about fins or cave diving... might want to ask in that sub forum. Some of the recommendations you're getting here would not go over well with any cave instructor I know,

i would say the traditional rubber fins (jet, rocket, f1, whatever). at first they feel like plywood. they sink and they are hard to even do normal kicks. but once you build the correct muscles (i ached in new ways for the first few dives) they are awesome. you get much, much more power and distance from a single frog kick. i have to remember to slow down and keep pace with people who are not using the same fins. hit the gym a bit or find some way to work out your calfs. i had to do this even though i am in reasonably good shape and play soccer frequently. but well worth the training.

Dive Rite EXP's. I have not worn my Jets since I bought these. Great in OW and cave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom