No diving Dominica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. If I remember correctly, you've done some hair-raising driving getting around in Dominica. Is it pretty to get around for the less adventurous driver?

Richard.
The driving is very demanding. First, you drive on the other side of the road English style, but much more serious are the road conditions. It is a rain forest covered island, so it logically rains a lot. Roads tend to be low points between mountains, so deep concrete drainage culverts are located on both sides of most roads, very close to the roadways. The constant rain run-off tends to undermine and damage the roads and repairs are infrequent. Landslides are occasionally encountered, and signage is rare. Still, I've managed, though having lived in Jamaica for extended periods certainly helped. Jamaican roads are much better. I had to drive a rental manager around the airport parking lot before they let me take a 5 speed 4wd once. This was because I'm an American (can't drive standard, they assumed) and way up there in age, in my 70s back then. The manager gave me a one-day discount, having been impressed by my effortless use of the clutch and correct protocol at a clockwise roundabout. One of my fondest memories. Lack of signage can get you lost, but if you simply keep going you'll come out somewhere.

Where does Dominica fit?
As said, it is very laid back. Diving is 'decent'. Of course having only been for 6 days of diving I surely didn't see all there is, but dove several of the DM's "favorites". Some sites are seasonal so we didn't go around to east side of the lower tip, which they do I think in September. There are some currents and unless the whole boat is very experienced they wont do any dives with current (for good and obvious reasons). You would have to check with Nature Dive but I would expect even if you are 2ppl and booked ahead they would go out. When I was there in June the cruise ships were not going, so there are very few tourists relative to it being "peak season", but we usually had ~8 divers on the boat. There were enough for nite dives when offered, tho we didn't do any as it would have been another drive from Roseau and a return driving at night. I think the cruise-ship/travel hiatus from Covid took a big financial toll and like a lot of the world I think it's gonna be a (long) while before things feel 'normal'.

For driving, it is opposite side from most of the world and rentals are almost manual, and there are some steep narrow roads and bumps and such. So somewhat of an adventurous spirit is needed and I doubt this will ever change. I never felt unsafe driving but once or twice thought "hope this turns out ok"... and it always did. Fear of the unknown, but no great reason to fear.

The hurricane did wipe out a lot, and places are still recovering, but it is SLOWWWWW since there is also no tourist money to help fund it. But the gov does seem to be doing all it can to repair things.

There are now NS flights from Miami (and to/from PR and I believe a couple other Carib islands) so that def helps, and a lot of the other divers were from FL coming in for 3-4 days. So what makes this less active than, for example, Honduras?? Sandy sunny beaches and more resorts and party scene... and that's (thankfully) not gonna change.

Diving is not going to change Dominica. It's there as an option. Nature Dive owners have been operating the site for decades - they are a lovely couple and love being there, but they ain't gettin' rich on it and there really isn't the activity for much more like some of the other carib diving destinations.

It is a lush jungle island. Eco tourism could take hold - there is a 'canyoneering' trip ppl loved, a few guided hikes, and some hot springs. Some investor could come in and make more jungle adventure stuff, but it is a very wet island so 1/2 the year you would do very little business and I just don't see it happening. It is what it is. The locals aren't impoverished, and seem to do just fine as-is (farming seems to be the major industry).

Lots of great input and perspective, thank you all. We are still toying with the idea of a January trip. We ended up booking the flight on points, so not a big risk. I also wrote to the Ft Young hotel and dive center (twice now) with no reply, hmm. We'll keep monitoring this thread and others..

We do like to try new spots. My wife Nat, as many of you know, writes a travel and diving blog where she loves to write about diving destinations and resorts. She's always looking for something new to check out. The dilemma is whether to go to a place where you know the diving is great, or take a chance on something new. We were actually teetering on Dominica .vs. another stay at B.D. in Bon. and then saw a recent review from someone that just returned from Bon. Of course just one perspective, but made us realize that even those places we loved years back can change, and sometimes a new trip can even sour those good memories. Ah well, High Class problems having to agonize about which exotic dive destination to choose from!! HaHa.

Looking forward to @k4kafka recent feedback. Thanks everyone :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom