No certificate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know PADI and SSI Instructors with less thaN 75 dives total... and none of them in the ocean.... that amazes me..

Tony "D":
Yes I do teach a very strict class, and require the knowledge of all mentioned. Some say we over teach, if you think there is such a thing. However, no matter if it's an open water course or I'm teaching a cave course. The basics never change, and if your taught right from the start, you'll understand more and be ready for advanced training. Some say it scares students, "GOOD" at least they know what can happen if their not in control and careful.

Tony "D"

I don't think there is a thing called "Over teaching", in my opinion,a person cannot learn enough, there is always something new to learn, just like Lipnoid Pneumonia, I learned that right here on Scubaboard. As an educator myself (not diving, another field), I love other educators who have a passion for what they teach, they always do the best job.

Wouldnt mind taking one of your classes next time I am in Florida.

Thanks,

thmoose51:
Think y'all scared him off.

Or maybe he was a troll...

redhawktwo:
I don't think there is a thing called "Over teaching", in my opinion,a person cannot learn enough, there is always something new to learn, just like Lipnoid Pneumonia, I learned that right here on Scubaboard. As an educator myself (not diving, another field), I love other educators who have a passion for what they teach, they always do the best job.

Wouldnt mind taking one of your classes next time I am in Florida.

Thanks,
Thanks redhawktwo for that positive note. That's the way I always thought, and I teach it in my classes. There are also other medical conditions related to diving we let our students know about as well. They are not tested on these, however we feel that the more you know about the sport, the more careful and responsible they'll be.

Tony

MikeFerrara:
The training stadards don't even ask instructors for a competent course. The standards are , in themselves, a prime example of incompetence, IMO. If you want me to pay the agency, I want evedence that there is benefite. The burden of proof lies with the seller rather than with me. Take your middle ground and use it to pay your kids way through colledge. I'm not interested in purchasing any middle ground.

I guess that means that you think everything in diving is a matter of extremes, and nothing can exist in any other shape or form. Glad we established that.

Agencies know tourism and marketing. I don't have any reason to believe that they know anything about diving.

I am sure that keeps the agencies up all night worrying.

What really is the point of this, and similar rants, I wonder sometimes - but then, it doesnt affect my life too much so rant on, Brother Mike.

Vandit

Going back to the original post, it appears that "Fins" got his equipment from someone AT a golf course, but isn't diving in the water traps. As he said, he's diving in local lakes. That brings us back to the level of danger to which he's exposing himself. Yikes!

The thing that concerns me most is his source of compressed air. Now that we know the name of the condition that can develop due to oil in the air in your tank, we can look for news stories about some fool who drowned in a lake in east who-knows-where. Then again, I'm sure there are some irresponsible shops out there who will give him fills without checking for a c-card. Another scary thought in our litigious sociey.

Someone on the board uses a signature that sums up many of the posts in this thread. It goes something like: "At 50 dives I thought I had this diving thing down pat. At 100 dives I saw how wrong I was at 50."

Fins-in: If you're out there, and you're not a troll, please get yourself some formal instruction and training. You'll be amazed at how much you don't know. As a bonus, you get a fancy certification card!

Darnold9999:
Diving without a cert card is pretty easy in many parts of the world. Locally you can buy a compressor and used gear is always an option. However diving with anyone who carries insurance without a cert card is very difficult. Getting air, boat trips, Nitrox, etc. will always be a pain as anyone with insurance will be invalidating their insurance by selling you any dive service without seeing the card.

This will restrict your access to many of the best dive sites in the world. For the very small cost of an open water course you open these sites up to yourself and you might even learn something that could save your life.

For example, it is totaly illegal to dive without a c-card in Israel

well, he did say in post#3 he was thinking about getting certified.

I wonder why he hasn't come back.... one person asks a question and 8000 beat him to death. Then they nit pick his wording about him saying he knows all about diving. Seems to me he could have just been saying, I know about the sport and I'd like to learn more? Afterall he did say he was looking into certification.

I don't know about you but MOST diving isn't exactly tough and the beginner courses are valuable but I would not say that they present anything you can't learn on your own. Great way to greet a newbie guys...

vkalia:
I guess that means that you think everything in diving is a matter of extremes, and nothing can exist in any other shape or form. Glad we established that.

I am sure that keeps the agencies up all night worrying.

What really is the point of this, and similar rants, I wonder sometimes - but then, it doesnt affect my life too much so rant on, Brother Mike.

Vandit

Well, I sure wouldn't want to keep the poor agencies up at night but I thought I made my point clear enough. I simply think that "the agencies" do a really poor job of teaching diving and demonstratably so. Whether you agree or not, I am prepared to support my position by a line by line examination of the training standards and the pratices that they result in. I don't get much action though since the vast majority seem to prefer to attack my arguement on a level that doesn't include any content at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom