No BC w/Dry Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which is the most likely scenario... a DUI trained drysuit diver using his/her suit for buoyancy compensation suddenly broaching the surface having missed the 15' safety stop...

Based on the small amount of BIASED information you have given you actually expect an OBJECTIVE answer on that question?

Oh yeah.. sorry.. it was RHETORICAL, right? :eek:ut:

UP, we all know you think GUE is The Bible, but please... there ARE other agencies out there who train their divers to use drysuits safely and effectively.

NEITHER way is "the one true way"... they BOTH have pros and cons.

~SubMariner~

Originally posted by SubMariner
UP, we all know you think GUE is The Bible, but please
I actually know quite a bit about the Bible (the author is a personal friend of mine)... and no GUE is definitely not the Bible... not even close! :D

It is common to teach students to use the suit for buoyancy control. When diving with a single tank and nearly neutrally weighted the suit won't need much air anyway and by the time you add enough to get rid of the squeeze you should be about done. Also, task overload is a concern. I teach the PADI course this way (no choice really). I also inform the student that most of my diving is with an extremely heavy/neg buoyant set of 104's and if I tried to use the suit for buoyancy control I would look like the Pilsbury dough boy and would probably bust a seam.

No drysuit diver dives without a BC, for many of the reasons that have already been discussed.
Oh my. I didn't think this should go unchallenged. :D

I know several professional ice divers who don't use BCs. I believe their philosophy is that if you're under 2 meters of ice and your suit floods, a BC isn't going to do you much good. In an emergency, they ditch weights. (Note: they don't do deco diving under the ice. But even if they did, a missed stop is more easily treated than going hypothermic and drowning.)

g2

I know several professional ice divers who don't use BCs. I believe their philosophy is that if you're under 2 meters of ice and your suit floods

And I know a professional diver who never used a BC until we taught him in Bonaire.

The key word here is PROFESSIONAL. These are people who go down and stay down until their job is done. They have total surface support, wear full AGA masks with voice communications to their fellow workers (hand signals? wot's that?) A lot of times they don't even wear fins.

They often do deco diving, spend huge amounts of time offgassing in chambers, and generally go places & do things we would never consider.

In short, they ain't us!

Since this is a RECREATIONAL diving board, I didn't realize I had to start putting in disclaimers about PROFESSIONAL divers.

~SubMariner~

... They have total surface support, wear full AGA masks with voice communications to their fellow workers (hand signals? wot's that?) A lot of times they don't even wear fins.

They often do deco diving, spend huge amounts of time offgassing in chambers, and generally go places & do things we would never consider.

In short, they ain't us!
On the contrary, some of these people are us -- or at least, they are recreational divers who have the need, opportunity and support to do such diving. Others are strictly professional divers with a commercial background.

They may not have any gear beyond what you would use for cold water diving. Rather, they have developed a system that works safely for their requirements, using a minimal amount of gear: typically single tanks attached to a backpack, with dual regulators.

See: http://scilib.ucsd.edu/sio/nsf/diving/index3.html

This isn't something new, they've been doing variations on it for years. Divers in the program are welcome to use BCs if they wish, but it doesn't (in some folks' opinions) necessarily add additional safety to the dive.

My point here is not to advocate diving without a BC, simply to provide an example. Making blanket statements, as you did, about how all others do their diving is always dangerous!

I love ya' man, no worries. :)

g2

The primary problem with my BC is that the weight pockets are almost worn through.

I probably never would have gone diving without a BC, but just wanted some opinions on this matter. After some thought, I believe that I will likely purchase a DUI weight and Trim system. From what I have read, this system is excellent-and certainly will make my 11 year old weight integrated Sea Quest Quickdraw BC more comfortable.

DUI has significantly reduced the price of the system ($98 MSRP from $298). Can't weight to be able to actually be able to lift my BC without all the weight. And I will be able to add the weight to the sytem after the harness is on.

Does anyone have any experience using the DUI system?

Originally posted by finster
DUI has significantly reduced the price of the system ($98 MSRP from $298).
Well hey, I might be able to afford one now! You're asking good questions.. have fun.

g2

I like to make the distinction between professional & commercial divers like this:
Professional divers are folks that make their living in the sport diving industry and commercial divers make their living by working. (more or less).
Commercial divers normally do not use scuba, and have no need for a BC.:eek:ut:

I took my drysuit cert. course last year through PADI, and I was taught to use only the drysuit for buoyancy. My instructor did give a bit of latitude when discussing the rule and admitted that, other than excessive task loading, there isn't much of a reason to maintain buoyancy with a drysuit. He also taught me to keep the arm valve completely clockwise, like Pug and others suggest.

After using my suit for the past year, I'm leaning toward the concept of solely adding air to the suit to alleviate the squeeze, and using the BC for bouyancy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you're making an ascent, you're supposed to raise your BC hose in your left hand and vent all air to control your ascent whether you're using a drysuit or not. If you do that, and also adhere to what PADI taught me about keeping your drysuit arm-valve open, then, that valve should be automatically dumping any air in the suit as well, just through the act of raising your arm, right?

If that's true, then using your BC for buoyancy makes perfectly good sense, and doesn't necessarily promote uncontrolled ascents, especially since there isn't that much air in your suit to vent anyway. :boom:

Just my two cents.

Originally posted by doll_fins
I took a drysuit certification course (new diver so I thought that would be best!) and they told me to absolutely NOT use the drysuit for bouyancy!

Like UP said, I was taught that you add enough air to the suit to take off the squeeze, but all bouyancy control comes from the BC (and as a new diver I am still adjusting fairly frequently!). I don't think it is difficult to manage both since I don't really do much with the drysuit other than release air as I ascend.

I also heard that using the drysuit for bouyancy wears the seals out faster.

Back
Top Bottom