NJ Shark attack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueMermaid

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I heard a story on the radio this morning about a shark attack to a surfer yesterday someplace in NJ. I was half asleep, so didn't get any details other than he had to have 100 stitches in his ankle. Has anyone heard about it? I can't seem to find any online news stories yet.

That looks to be the one. Thanks for pointing it out.

I wonder how they came to the conclusion that it was a young great white that did the biting? There are bazillions of other species of sharks in NJ.

In any case, I am terrified that this will spur a wave of macho weekend fishermen with guns, slaughtering any shark they encounter. I have seen this before, in the "Jaws" era.

SueMermaid:
That looks to be the one. Thanks for pointing it out.

I wonder how they came to the conclusion that it was a young great white that did the biting? There are bazillions of other species of sharks in NJ.

Bite pattern

Hmmm... DiveGolfSki says in that post "GWS are a major risk in the Pacific coast..." I've been diving here for 36 years and have never seen one underwater until I went to cage dive off Guadalupe Island. Do see them from boats occasionally, but I'd hardly consider them a "major risk." Friends who have seen them underwater say they mostly hightail it away (irking the videographers).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom