nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makushr1

Registered
Reaction score
Can someone point me to a good website or post about nitrox? I know a little bit about it, but I kinda want to learn more, like what certification you have to have to use it, costs, why its different, etc. I know we went over it in my PADI class, but I forgot alot about it.

Google for ANDI or IANTD. Air could technically be called nitrox, however some define it as an air mixture with more O2 then found naturally. As for posts here using the term "nitrox", you probably will find a thousand or more.

When you say that you went over it in class, do you mean OW or a PADI nitrox class? You can get trained and certified by your PADI instructor, or you could go to a "Tech" agency, like ANDI or IANTD.

Hmm, remember when PADI thought of nitrox as a "voodoo gas"??

Makushr1:
Can someone point me to a good website or post about nitrox? I know a little bit about it, but I kinda want to learn more, like what certification you have to have to use it, costs, why its different, etc. I know we went over it in my PADI class, but I forgot alot about it.
Check this out. This is a report of 1 nitrox course by a scubaboard member http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1082569&postcount=1

I just got certified for nitrox with NAUI. The material was pretty well laid out and informative. The test seemed to go over the stuff you needed to know as well as a little extra. Finally took the checkout dives which wasn't a big deal since there isn't much skill to breathing nitrox. All in all, I thought it was great course and quite simple (especially since I'm a math person) and would recommend taking the course with an instructor that is recommended by others.

Nitrox is a simple enough speciality. Most shops charge about 4 bucks a bottle more than they charge for air to use it. You must have a nitrox card to use it.

Ok, so from what I've been reading, Nitrox lets you stay down under longer, less decompress time and a lesser chance of decompression sickness. So, whats the downside?

With a higher percentage O2 in your mix, you have a greater chance of Central Nervous System Toxicity (CNS Toxicity).

The deeper you go the more the partial pressures of O2 increase. So, depending on your mix, workload, tolerance, etc. you increase the chance of having a reaction.

The reaction to 02 CNS toxicity at depth is a lot quicker and deadlier. For instance, you could immediately go into convulsions without a warning. So, with Nitrogen you might have some warning that you are affected by narcosis and you have time to react, you do not have the same ability with 02 CNS toxicity.

When diving with higher 02 percentages, you must know your maximum operating depth for the mix. It’s also good to keep track of long term 02 exposure for repetitive dives.

Has anyone ever been to an oxygen bar? if so, what % is their mix?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom