Nitrox Partial Pressure Blending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbisjim:
With Under 40% blends is it safe to run through a compressor. The compressor at out shop had a burn out when this was tried previously. The perpatrators may have been running a higher blend through. Is 40% safe to pump through the compressor?
I have to say, I personally know 2 compressors owners who have had blowouts, including one HP head was blown into a concrete wall due to mixing "safe 40%" blends.
I do not personally know of anyone having an incident with PP blending
That is why I don't do it. Unless you own an oiless compressor such as a Rix I think you are taking chances.

wedivebc:
I have to say, I personally know 2 compressors owners who have had blowouts, including one HP head was blown into a concrete wall due to mixing "safe 40%" blends.
I do not personally know of anyone having an incident with PP blending
That is why I don't do it. Unless you own an oiless compressor such as a Rix I think you are taking chances.

I strarted this thread looking for a more efficient way to load Nitrox. Using the shop compressor and taking a chance of another blow out may not be worth the risk. With out the shop compressor the shop in a sense dead in the water.

The time commitment on loading 4 or 5 tanks using a partial pressure method can be conciderable and I was looking at a way to shortcut it. Sounds as though at the moment Partial Pressure blending is my best bet. I am not sure it is worth the risk on the compressor.

Unlce Pug:
Larry at ScubaToys would be a good person to talk to about continuous blending in a commercial setting.
Thanks for the tip Uncle Pug Larry and I are hooking up on a phone call tomarrow.

I am setting up a nitrox filling system and will be doing pp blending, I am looking for the least expensive but fully functioning hyper pure air filtration system. HELP!
Thanks

usgsdiver:
I am setting up a nitrox filling system and will be doing pp blending, I am looking for the least expensive but fully functioning hyper pure air filtration system. HELP!
Thanks
There was a guy selling a couple of towers on TDS a month ago. If I stuble across the link I will post it here. I think he was asking $350 for the big one.

usgsdiver:
Thanks

Much info: http://www.airspeedpress.com/

wedivebc:
There was a guy selling a couple of towers on TDS a month ago. If I stuble across the link I will post it here. I think he was asking $350 for the big one.
Thanks for the info--what is TDS?

you might try a multiple head filling whip, means you blend only once to say, four tanks, this also makes your blends equal. It helps slow flow rates too. I have seen this done in Coz.

jbisjim:
With Under 40% blends is it safe to run through a compressor. The compressor at out shop had a burn out when this was tried previously. The perpatrators may have been running a higher blend through. Is 40% safe to pump through the compressor?

BullSh**

I know of several compressors that have blown up doing exactly this.. One was definately making 36%, another was making 32%!!!!!

I also know of several fires on live aboards using a nitrox stick, which basically does the same thing.. These were making low mixtures as well..

Even with an oil free compressor like a RIX ther IS STILL a risk although its incredibly small..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom