Nitrox or not - around Turneffe area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to guess that you don't normally spend much time inverted, which you may do while diving. If not inverted, at least with your head lower than your gut. The solutions to heartburn while diving are probably the same as for heartburn in general: keep your head higher than your gut (although that may not be optimal diving position), don't overeat, don't eat fried or fatty foods, don't fill your stomach with liquids (although that may hinder your proper hydration), and use an over-the-counter drug like famotidine (Pepcid).

You may want to pose the question in the medical forum to get an expert response, or search the posts of DocVikingo, TSandM, etc., to see if it's been addressed before.

This is actually a pretty common problem. I occasionally suffer from it myself, and I have often seen guest divers with it. The best solution I have found is simply not to eat before diving, and in particular not to eat between dives. It's common here to offer fresh fruit in the hour-or-so between consecutive dives, and for me that's a no-no. The issue is not to keep the head above the gut, but the entry to the stomach above its contents. Even so some will slosh up to the opening during diving, which is why the symptoms can gradually but inexorably get worse during a session of diving.

If anyone routinely has "indigestion", "heartburn" or acid reflux this is a serious matter that warrants medical attention, but when it is sparked only by certain activities, with diving being principal amongst them, you just need whatever short-term action is sufficient to quash the symptoms. I must try Pepcid myself - I've never so far in my life taken it.

The issue is not to keep the head above the gut, but the entry to the stomach above its contents.
Most people without a penchant for contortion will find that if their head is above their stomach, their lower esophageal sphincter will be above their stomach contents, but you are correct, it is not necessarily so. Compare it to the MayoClinic's recommendation for people who suffer heartburn while sleeping:

Elevate the head of your bed. An elevation of about six to nine inches puts gravity to work for you.

and WebMd's:

If Your Heartburn Is Worse When Lying Down:

Raise the head of your bed so that your head and chest are higher than your feet.

I must try Pepcid myself - I've never so far in my life taken it.
The only time I have ever had heartburn of consequence is while diving. As you say, not eating before dives solves that. So does Pepcid; it is surprisingly effective.

Thanks for the tip - I'll get some.

I guess everyone is different regarding heartburn, but as long as I don't drink alcohol the night before diving, I don't get heartburn while, or after, scuba diving. I could eat a pepperoni pizza during a surface interval and be fine for scuba.
Free diving is a different story though. If I'm doing multiple dives (10 - 15 per hour) I can only eat oatmeal or banana smoothie type foods for breakfast on diving days, and then only a light peanut butter sandwich for lunch. Drink only water.

The wife and I both have the same issue.....no heartburn at home but pretty regular when diving multiple dives/days. Just keep the TUMS handy!

As to whether Nitrox makes you feel better.....there's a reason they started out calling it voodoo gas! I don't know of any scientific proof that it has a positive effect on anything, other than less residual nitrogen after diving (when compared to air) which is just physics. However, I think I feel better when diving Nitrox and in this case perception is reality. whether I felt better or not I would use it for the safety factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom