Nitrox on The Go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any pictures of your trailer you'd be willing to share? Or pm...
My stuff just lays in the bed of the truck. I don't take it unless I am pulling a boat.

I just sold this one last month. It was a really nice mobile setup.
It held 8 bottles of your choosing, a fill panel, and a booster.

upload_2021-8-10_14-15-51.png

upload_2021-8-10_14-16-40.png

I actually saw that, was tempting but with everything that I've spent so far I'm pretty tapped out. What a cool setup though, from what I remember it was a great price. Was the booster included also? I don't remember that in the description.

Edit: any idea on the dry weight?

So far I've been PP blending just because I've been too lazy to finish my stick and it's easy at the shop. Idk, I might bank some eanx for when needed and just haul around 1 or 2 cascade tanks.

Just trying to gauge what other people do. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel if someone out there has already done it.
Do you ever leave the pavement?
Need 4WD?
What else do you need to carry?
What gases do you need for the dives you plan?
How many divers?
How far do you have to drive and how much will it cost you in fuel and wear&tear to do it?
How far away is a the nearest fill station?

If you just pile more and more into your truck, breaking a spring, weight, and smoking your brake rotors end up being your limits. A braked trailer is a good option, unless you need 4WD or have to tow a boat already.

Some trips I bring 22 OC tanks
Some trips I bring 80s of 16/50, split them, top them with 32% from a 4cfm compressor with a stick to make 25/25
At some point you just need a CCR and a mini booster

Do you ever leave the pavement?
Need 4WD?
What else do you need to carry?
What gases do you need for the dives you plan?
How many divers?
How far do you have to drive and how much will it cost you in fuel and wear&tear to do it?
How far away is a the nearest fill station?

If you just pile more and more into your truck, breaking a spring, weight, and smoking your brake rotors end up being your limits. A braked trailer is a good option, unless you need 4WD or have to tow a boat already.

Some trips I bring 22 OC tanks
Some trips I bring 80s of 16/50, split them, top them with 32% from a 4cfm compressor with a stick to make 25/25

For right now it's a small Rix, about 10-12 steel OC tanks, and enough dive gear for 6 people. No need for 4WD (yet). No need for offroad. The extent of my diving is within rec range with nitrox depending on the dive, maybe some light deco, but nothing to warrant He yet.

Not sure on the distance, I'm hoping to travel more and more as my clan gets older. We travel 1000 miles one way to FL as it stands now. Am in the process of setting up a small trailer, I'm so tired of hauling gear back and forth into the basement. I'm smack dab in the middle of NC and the St. Lawrence River, so either direction is good for me.

It makes more and more sense every time I move stuff around. Filling tanks, taking tanks apart. It'll happen... then maybe I'll downsize.

For right now it's a small Rix, about 10-12 steel OC tanks, and enough dive gear for 6 people. No need for 4WD (yet). No need for offroad. The extent of my diving is within rec range with nitrox depending on the dive, maybe some light deco, but nothing to warrant He yet.

What truck and springs? best to start thinking in weight now
12 tanks is already 600lbs...
Now add the compressor, 150lbs per 250cf o2 supply bottle (makes ~1600cf of 32%)
Pretty soon you are maxed out at what a 3/4 ton can carry

Where do you stay and will they tolerate the compressor noise?
Personally for a 1000mile drive to places with fill stations nearby I would just bring a bunch of tanks.

I bring my compressor into the bush, but they arent Rec dives and there's no mixed gases within even a days drive.

What truck and springs? best to start thinking in weight now
12 tanks is already 600lbs...
Now add the compressor, 150lbs per 250cf o2 supply bottle (makes ~1600cf of 32%)
Pretty soon you are maxed out at what a 3/4 ton can carry

Where do you stay and will they tolerate the compressor noise?
Personally for a 1000mile drive to places with fill stations nearby I would just bring a bunch of tanks.

I bring my compressor into the bush, but they arent Rec dives and there's no mixed gases within even a days drive.

I believe my little enclosed trailer is capped @ 1200 or 1300lbs cargo weight. For pulling it's either a 2018 Pacifica (3600lbs) or a Ford F150 (~5000lbs). I don't think I could fit everything in the back of the truck, at least not the way I'd like. When needed it'll be a trailer to most places, which is great. I only have to hang stuff up once and park it.

In a pinch I don't care if I fill on the outskirts of a Walmart parking lot. But most places I've gone have been off the beaten path (except FL, maybe not FL).

It would really depend on who's going and what dives I'm planning what I do or don't take, but I think most if not all would fit in the trailer. Was just curious what others did.

I actually saw that, was tempting but with everything that I've spent so far I'm pretty tapped out. What a cool setup though, from what I remember it was a great price. Was the booster included also? I don't remember that in the description.

Edit: any idea on the dry weight?

There was no booster included. It was just a rack and a fill panel.
Without tanks, it probably weighs 4-500 pounds. It is all aluminum. It sold to a guy in Georgia.
I though the price was reasonable for what it was. You definitely couldn't build it for less than $10,000

I believe my little enclosed trailer is capped @ 1200 or 1300lbs cargo weight.
Unbraked? With an F150?

I can tell you from personal experience you can load that puppy up so its 2,500lbs tow weight. And then put another 1500lbs in the truck. This is not unrealistic at all with 12 cylinders, a couple of O2 supply bottles, 300lbs of compressor, dive gear, people, camping gear...

And you'll get back from your trip and need new brakes and rotors for $900... If there's any dirt roads on your trip add a broken shock on at least one rear side.

Unbraked? With an F150?

I can tell you from personal experience you can load that puppy up so its 2,500lbs tow weight. And then put another 1500lbs in the truck. This is not unrealistic at all with 12 cylinders, a couple of O2 supply bottles, 300lbs of compressor, dive gear, people, camping gear...

And you'll get back from your trip and need new brakes and rotors for $900... If there's any dirt roads on your trip add a broken shock on at least one rear side.

I understand what you're saying. I'm just in the very, very, very beginning stage of setting up a trailer. It hasn't even seen it's maden voyage. I was just trying to get people's take on how they mixed what and what they took. I'm sure that there will be 101 issues that I haven't even thought of yet.

Being a commercial truck driver (or at least having a current class A CDL) I understand the weighting issue. I'm sure I'll have everything I want and then start to have to strip away a lot. I guess it's all part of the journey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom