Nitrox on the boat ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aeolus

Reaction score
Is there any benefit to continuing to breathe Nitrox after returning to the boat? Would this help outgas the Nitrogen any better than just breathing air? Would there be any other benefits to finishing off the tank on the surface? Maybe decreased fatigue or whatever. I usually have about 1000 to 1500 psi remaining after the alloted time for the dive. It would be good to put this to a useful purpose.

Thanks. DSDO :thinkof:

Aeolus once bubbled...
Is there any benefit to continuing to breathe Nitrox after returning to the boat? Would this help outgas the Nitrogen any better than just breathing air? Would there be any other benefits to finishing off the tank on the surface? Maybe decreased fatigue or whatever. I usually have about 1000 to 1500 psi remaining after the alloted time for the dive. It would be good to put this to a useful purpose.

Thanks. DSDO :thinkof:

Simple answer to all your question is: yes. It's similar to decompression with enriched mixes. I'll leave Dr Deco to give you a full explanation.

MonkSeal once bubbled...

It's similar to decompression with enriched mixes.

50% and 100% O2 are used for inwater decompression, and are done at depth to maximize the effectiveness. Breathing recreational EAN mixes at the surface would have little benefit. Besides, scuba regulators are made to be used wet. I wouldn't think extended use on the surface would work that well.

MD

If the truth were known, the best thing that you could do with the nitrox cylinder is to have it removed from your while at the edge of boat. You would have less weight on your back as you climb onto the boat.

The reduced weight would result in a reduction of micronuclei formation.

There is not that much oxygen in the nitrox that it would help - if there were a problem.

Dr Deco:doctor:

MechDiver and DrDeco, do you think that safety stop should be extended in this case (enough mix in tank) to prevent fatigue ?

BTW I was sure breathing nitrox while floating around the boat helped me. And I felt better ... but it was probably just in my head.

MonkSeal once bubbled...
MechDiver and DrDeco, do you think that safety stop should be extended in this case (enough mix in tank) to prevent fatigue ?

BTW I was sure breathing nitrox while floating around the boat helped me. And I felt better ... but it was probably just in my head.

Extending the safety for a couple minutes would not be a bad thing, but IMO anything beyond that, for a typical NDL dive, would have little value.

If breathing EAN on the surface while waiting for the boat makes you feel better, than by all means go ahead. Even if it is just in your head, if you feel better, you feel better. Can't knock that :)

MD

Dear SCUBA SOURCE Readers:

Surface

Some folks refer to the pause on the surface for a few minutes as “the hidden stop.” By this they mean the off gassing that will occur prior to reboarding the boat. It is a useful concept, I believe.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :grad:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Back
Top Bottom