nitrox mixer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_fi

Reaction score
Hi

I have build mixer for nitrox station.
Do you think that mixer, like one in attachment, provide enought mixing for o2+air ?
My compressor gives about 235L/min for 200bar.

It looks a little too open to me but you are the only one who will be able to answer for sure. I would watch your o2 readings really carefully when you first start using it. If you get spikes your compressor won't like it.

Since its tranparent, blow some smoke though it while it is hooked up on the compressor, and see how it mixes.

Simple back and forth baffles are usually inadequate, as are repetitive plates with holes in them - the gas just remains in descrete streams that channel though without adequately mixing. Usually this doesn't really matter since it gets mixed in the compressor, but it can make it hard to get reliable readings at the sensor, and, in the worst case, could lead to a high enough spike of O2 in the compressor to blow or combust.

To completely homogenize the mix without creating unecessarily high resistance you want to fold or turn the flow back on itself, to create adequate turbulence, the way a ribbon mixer element does.

To completely homogenize the mix without creating unecessarily high resistance you want to fold or turn the flow back on itself, to create adequate turbulence, the way a ribbon mixer element does.[/QUOTE]

Is there foto available of mixer element that is good for the mixer ?

You should buy Vances book at the link he provided. There are pictures there.

scuba_fi:
allready ordered book :wink:

Since you've already ordered Vance's book, here's the blender I built last fall using his model as a guide.

The first photo shows the baffle module during assembly, showing placement of the individual brass baffles. The second photo shows the completed baffle modules ready for installation. Third photo shows the components for the blender before assembly with the baffle modules placed in relation to where they will be when installed, and the fourth shows the completed unit plumbed into the compressor intake (note that oxygen intake is not yet hooked up in the photo).

Since January I've pumped more than 20,000 cubic feet of nitrox (250 fills of single 80's) through my 5 cfm Ingersoll-Rand. My upstream and downstream analyzers are almost always within 0.5% agreement, and final analysis is usually within 0.2-0.5% of downstream analyzer.

BTW, thanks to Vance and the Oxy Hackers Companion for making my blender a simple project without me having to reinvent the wheel.

Cheers,
Al.

ok. thank´s
I must make some changes.
When i get next model ready, i post some images here.

wedivebc:
It looks a little too open to me but you are the only one who will be able to answer for sure. I would watch your o2 readings really carefully when you first start using it. If you get spikes your compressor won't like it.

We made new version of mixer, i hope this one is not too open..:D
Elements are same style like in oxyhackers mixer.

scuba_fi:
Hi

I have build mixer for nitrox station.
Do you think that mixer, like one in attachment, provide enought mixing for o2+air ?
My compressor gives about 235L/min for 200bar.

I don't like the looks of it. You can keep the basic design but do this. Temporarily remove the deflectors and insert two or three stainless steel or copper scouring pads. If the tube is not too large in diameter the pads should rest against the deflectors when replaced. Insert a porous foam rubber pad in the bottom. This will prevent any possible metal particles shed from the scouring pads entering the compressor intake.

The metal pads are not the wool type for polishing. They are spun ribbon. This is a common item available for little money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom