Nitrox in my BCD???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blindref757:
From the manual:

MARES supplies its authorized dealers with a kit for converting
MARES BCs for use with oxygen rich mixtures (Nitrox - maximum
oxygen content: 40%). If, after the conversion, the BC is used with
normal compressed air, it will be necessary for a trained MARES
technician to repeat the entire conversion procedure before using the
BC with oxygen-rich mixtures again. This is because the BC may be
contaminated with traces of hydrocarbons or other impurities that
could spark combustion.
WHEN REPAIR OR SERVICING IS REQUIRED, IT SHOULD ONLY BE
PERFORMED BY A MARES OR DACOR AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER
 WARNING
Do not use any MARES BC with oxygen rich mixtures (Nitrox
- Maximum oxygen content: 40%) without having first
received adequate training on their use: Failure to observe
this warning may result in a serious accident.

Unbelievable, it might as well read this unit is not for scuba diving. So I protest where's the warning this unit should not be used as a parachute, collegiate backpack, police vest, or in space for any purpose.

colby:
!
The addition of helium or other substances, or using different mixtures may cause deterioration or corrosion of metal and other parts. Such deterioration may lead to premature aging or failure. Non-standard air mixtures may also increase the risk of fire or explosion.

Evidently some of these places employ folks that couldn't pass Chem 101. Helium is INERT, it won't react with hardly anything! (And the exceptions are only under specific, extreme, conditions)

Ken

The Kraken:
Bout time for Uncle Pug's treatise on O2 cleaned snorkels again.

the K

I thought this issue was settled, most of the industry has moved on to O2 cleaned boats, beaches, and oceans now (fear the 21%!) ... and according to Mares, that battle is being fought and won.

shaggie:
Well butter my butt and call me a bisquit!
Don't stick that buttered butt in a dry suit and introduce 40%. You could be a crumb dust cloud in an instant.

Even worse would be the mix of Nitroxthane. That would leave a mushroom cloud and some major hash marks. :D POOPBOOMSKI

Gary D.

I'm not by any means a chemist, but isn't the nylon in the air bladder, (as well as the vinyl lining to make it air tight) made from petroleum products / hydrocarbons?

We should all be crispy critters by now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom