Nitrox for kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soamelt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an 11 year that was OW certified last summer. In the research I have done about the potential risks (not including any accidents, etc.) of diving on developing kids, it seems pretty split that it's either safe or there could be issues with built up nitrogen in the tissues and a child's growth plates. If that is the main concern, wouldn't using higher mixes of oxygen help alleviate some of that potential risk? Unless of course there's some other risk such as kids are more susceptible to oxygen toxicity or something.

So outside of her diving a mix "she" wasn't trained for, are there any risks for a child diving 36% to 40-45 fsw (bottom, not on a wall or Bluewater) 1-2 dives max?

It's not the mix but the pressure. Had CT scans of my kids growth plates prior to depths greater than 45 feet.

Growth plates were closed so good to get on with advanced and deeper diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom