Nitrox best mix question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I'm considering a training site, I prefer to have the seafloor at the maximum depth for the dive. That way, your students can only go deeper if they bring a shovel. I would take Walter's advice on the alternate dive site.

While the extra safety net of a sea floor sounds like a good precaution, I'm uneasy about what's implied in the recommendation. To me, it means that there are divers who may not have the buoyancy control or awareness to be diving at that depth. If that's the case, why not do a shallow site until the students are capable?

After the course, it's unlikely that the students will only be diving where the seafloor is the maximum depth for the dive. As the result, wouldn't it be most beneficial to train students in a similar scenario?

It's not necessarily a lack of student buoyancy control or situational awareness that underlies my position. I fully expect to have trained my students well enough that they can stay off the bottom and know what's going on around them. The issues are compliance with PADI standards, the exercise of my professional judgment as an instructor, and student control.

PADI sets a depth limit of 100 feet for any AOW training dive. Although PADI standards do not state that the bottom must be at the depth limit, PADI does require that the instructor exercise sound judgment in selecting training sites. A site where the bottom is still 40 feet below you at the maximum dive depth is not a desirable training site, in my opinion. Or, to put a finer point on it, I know my brethren of the bar can't impeach my judgment for selecting a conservative site.

Student positioning and control is drilled into you as a Divemaster (if you have a good course) and certainly during instructor training. Maintaining control over students is more difficult while floating in the water column away from a reference point. I prefer to have something below my students besides water. It makes my job easier.

Finally, students don't always listen to you.

I understand your point about training students for a "realistic" environment. However, I doubt that in Cave 1 a diver is taken a mile back into the system for initial training because that's where s/he may be diving. In my opinion, training should proceed incrementally. Get the student comfortable with the basics in a carefully selected environment, and then progressively move them forward toward more challenging dives and environments.

Back
Top Bottom