nitrox analyzing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ok, hubby and i are starting our nitrox course tonight. (yippee!) and so we've been reading the book like we're supposed to beforehand (haven't finished yet, about 2/3 through though) and i have a question.........on the part about analyzing your tank. i'm guessing that most people don't actually buy an analyzer, but rather they observe the guy at the dive shop analyze the tank? or let's say you're on vacation in the caribbean on an island for example.........maybe they've already loaded the tanks on the boat when you arrive at the dock or whatever.........then you would need your own analyzer on hand? right? let me know what most of you do ok? thanks,donna

Personally I own my own analyzer. My shop wants each tank to be analyzed by 2 separate units, now they have 2 on hand, but I felt it was better to have my own, for the times I'm getting a fill at a different shop. They do offer a special where you buy an Analox analyzer from them, and you get the course for free.

Donnad,

I just got back from a dive trip on a boat for four days. You do not need to buy an analayzer. The person that fills your tank will do that. Just be sure to watch them so you know whaat mix you are diving. Ours was typically 32%. I had one fill that was 30% You will need this info for your dive computer or your tables depending on how you are diving. You can buy one if you have the money to burn. Have a good time in the class and good luck.

Proper proceedure is for the gas blender to take the observations and record them in the Nitrox mixing log. The blender should record the tank ID, the owner's name and initial the log. When you get your tank/tanks you're supposed to analyze the mix YOURSELF and record your findings on the mixing log.

At this point, the gas blender should put a sticker on the tank with the %O2 labeled and the maximum operating depth.

Two steps: the gas blender checks the mix and YOU check the mix.

the K

I have my own analyzer and analyze every tank I use. I want to know what goes into my lungs. Saving the 200 bucks or so will seem very silly if you find yourself descending and passing out because you grabbed an unlabelled argon tank...

thanks everyone! i would imagine that while on vacation it may be fairly common to not be present when the dive operator is analyzing the tank, therefore you would need to check it yourself as soon as you arrive to get on the boat, or the tank may already be on the boat, so you would need your analyzer always with you and your gear. ok, so i'll be looking for a deal on an analyzer! looking forward to class tonight. i'm always excited about continuing my learning. thanks again

donnad, we have our own analyzer, but so far, even at resorts, anyplace that's providing Nitrox has had a system for having the user analyze his own tank and record it in a log. I think liability concerns probably just about require that. We've never used our own analyzer, and I've wondered why we bought one.

I'm happy I bought one. In more than one instance has there been a significant difference between the stated content and the actual content. In tanks which were labeled 32% I've found 45%. This has happened more than once. I don't care about little differences of 1-2%, but at 45% O2 you have a real chance to get into trouble - an MOD of 70ft (at 1.4) rather than 111 ft. If you're doing a Cozumel drift dive at 110 ft or so at 45% your PPO will be right around 2 or so - way beyond my comfort zone..
I analyze.

I went without an analyzer for over a year. I got myself into a situation where I could NOT analyze my mix myself (don't ask) but dove the tanks anyway because the constraints were safe to.

I resoved then to buy an Analyzer rather than be put in that position again. Now I have an analyzer and it goes with me on EVERY dive. And I analyze my mix on EVERY dive. And I have my dive buddy analyze their mix on ever dive. Period.

I would encourage those on doubles to analyze both posts independently as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom