Nitrox Analyzer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have built four nitrox analyzers based on the Oxyhacker design and tested them against my Analox ATA Pro trimix analyzer. Building a nitrox analyzer is very simple and considerably cheaper. You just need to find the digital panel meter and then everything else is relatively easy to source. The Oxycheq El Cheapo is the same design but in a kit or finished form. All of them do the same thing and work well. I would suggest picking one which doesn't use expensive or hard to find o2 cells.

I use the Analox O2EIII, and have no complaints, though I wish there as a flow regulator available that was compatible with my SP air2.

I use this one as well. I like the little nub that can accept an lp hose so you can analyze with reg on tank.

I use the Analox O2EIII, and have no complaints, though I wish there as a flow regulator available that was compatible with my SP air2.

I use this one as well. I like the little nub that can accept an lp hose so you can analyze with reg on tank.

I actually prefer to analyze my tanks before I've ever hooked them up. If I wasn't able to analyze them at the shop, I do it at home before I take them anywhere or set them up. I like to be able to analyze them without having to hook a regulator up to them. I therefore actually prefer the "old style" cover with the little hole in it that you just hold up to the tank valve opening. It actually works really well for DIN valves as it fully covers the valve opening and you get good flow into the sensor. YMMV of course. You do need to be careful not to blast the analyzer with air. You just need a trickle of gas coming from the tank.

I have built four nitrox analyzers based on the Oxyhacker design and tested them against my Analox ATA Pro trimix analyzer
I'm in the final build-up myself. Using same cells as my Triton. Loads of fun and you can add whatever bells and whistles you want if you've got a basic understanding of electronics and coding.

One thing to watch is age. The oxygen cell has a fixed life. Figure 2-3 years. That life is from date manufactured, not date purchased or first used. Really doesn't matter how much you use it in that time, they just age out.

That Oxygen cell is the most expensive part. $75 is a fairly average price, some more, rarely for less.

An analyzer that a shop has had on the shelf for a year has lost a year of life. Best to buy from a place that sells a lot of them and has a lot of inventory turnover.

Something else I have found, the choice of flow limiter will change how it reads. The more variable you have with pressure and sealing will let you float the results. A fixed flow limiter (plugs into BC inflator port and you are not trying to hold a seal against a tank valve) will give consistent readings. It is the more expensive way of doing it. The jab a ball into a hole and throttle gas pressure is the cheaper way to make them.

As for a preferred brand, there really isn't one. Not until you get into trimix analyzers.

FYI, when buying one, check the price on the replacement O2 sensors.

I had a Maxtec MaxO2+ which never worked right, I had it replaced by the manufacturer, still was wonky and the replacement O2 sensors were expensive. Replaced it with an Oxycheq explorer, been super happy with it.

My Analox lives in a small pelican in the cargo area of my SUV. How do temp changes affect O2 cell life? My Divesoft Solo Trimix analyzer is at home. Need to get a pelican just for it.

Back
Top Bottom