Nitrox After 45

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi There!
Nitrox is designed to get less N2 into your body! That's it! This is way you got CNS faster than air, and you need less time for DECO

leadweight
In other words, is there additional safety in practice, or only in theory?

of course it is safety in practice, it is not only theory! but to be safety you must understand how does it works and take a nitrox course... a lot of people says that they feel better, but I feel the same thing diving with air and/or nitrox!

TheDarknessLord once bubbled...

leadweight
In other words, is there additional safety in practice, or only in theory?

of course it is safety in practice, it is not only theory! but to be safety you must understand how does it works and take a nitrox course...

Not quite.

There is a theoretical safety advantage to be gained through lower N2 loads, but when an already small risk is made smaller, it is pragmatically lost in the "noise" of everything else, and is thus not worth making a big deal over.

In other words, half of zero is still zero.

Which means that pragmatically, you dive Nitrox for the benefit of its longer bottom times, not to make an already tiny risk value incrementally smaller. If you want to effectively reduce your DCS risk, do so by extending your safety stop...you can do that for free.

-hh

DAN makes no such official recommendation to the best of my knowledge.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Doc V,

Thanks for the info. I don't know how the DAN and nitrox over 45 thing got started, but two people mentioned it to me. I searched their website, as I mentioned above, and cound not find anything. I believe you are correct that DAN makes no such recommendation.

I have been trying to chase down some scuba diving "urban legends". The two big ones seem to be using nitrox for additional safety on dives that are well within the no stop limits for air. The other is whether the very conservative Suunto computers provide additional safety as compared to the other major brands such as Aladin and Oceanic/Aeris.

Dive safety is very important to me, but I want to focus on what really works. One thing is Dr. Deco's advice regarding physical exertion. Another is maintaining a state of mindfulness so as to avoid mistakes. Some members around here have said that 99% of out of air situations are caused by "software".

Often it seems that some of what is going around (and not just in diving) has more to do with belief systems than real data.

All I can say is we should all be thankful the accident rates for recreational diving are as low as they are.

-Ron

Dear Readers:

Suunto and Oceanic

The Oceanic algorithm is derived from the Rogers and Powell tests of the DSAT Recreational Dive Planner. It is conservative and produced few Doppler bubbles on open water dives.

One can see the number of devices tracing to this by looking in the WWW with the search words “powell + decompression.”

Dr Deco :doctor:

Nitrox is safer all around for everyone... no doubt about it. It's expensive from most shops but I got a whip from

www.northeastscubasupply.com

and some aviator grade O2 from my local welders supply and now I mix my own for cheap.....

cheaper than a chamber ride, thats for sure!

Dear Big:

I would certainly be sure that you know the oxygen concentration and that the tank is well mixed.:boom:

Dr D.:doctor:

Dr Deco once bubbled...
Dear Big:

I would certainly be sure that you know the oxygen concentration and that the tank is well mixed.:boom:

Dr D.:doctor:

How does one ensure that a tank is well-mixed?

--Sean

Just to see what would happen, I tried doing a week of nitrox on air nsl dives. I did not feel any difference in fatigue.
It may well be personal. I've always felt far less fatigue diving nitrox than air.
There is a theoretical safety advantage to be gained through lower N2 loads, but when an already small risk is made smaller, it is pragmatically lost in the "noise" of everything else, and is thus not worth making a big deal over.
Not just lower N2 loads, but more O2, as well. The 'oxygen window' is often referred to on this forum by many participants. Well, the oxygen window principle forms an important part behind the reasoning when diving nitrox, not just lowering N2 loading. Negating the effect of the oxygen window when diving nitrox, but stressing its importance when urging decompression on pure O2 at 6 metres seems like an oxymoron ...
Which means that pragmatically, you dive Nitrox for the benefit of its longer bottom times, not to make an already tiny risk value incrementally smaller.
Again, another theoretical oxymoron. Why should nitrox make longer bottom times safer, but not work on making bottom times within NDL:s even safer?
The 2003 DAN Accident report states there is a slight increase in 'accident' rate for mixed gas users compared to 2002, but the actual numbers are not available.
Surely that would include the use of trimix, heliox and other gas mixes? And the use of mixes other than nitrox, e.g. trimix which very likely is on the increase, signifies vastly different and often more hazardous diving practices, e.g. deep diving, deep wreck etc.
In those who qualify, Triox offers potentially more safety, since in addition to the nitrox component, the He portion mobilizes faster than N2 and is more predictable for offgassing.
This is almost an 'established fact' in some technical dive circles, particularly if we look to certain Florida cave divers. However, the 'He is a benevolent gas' myth may be just that. I'm eagerly awaiting the on-line publication of the US Navy mixed helium gas trials which do not appear to bear out this opinion, but rather the opposite opinion that more incidences of neurological DCS may be expected with helium mixes. I certainly know of several decompression workers who do not buy the 'benevolent gas' theory. As an inert gas, shouldn't it be treated with the same respect decompression-wise as, say, nitrogen?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for trimix. For the well-trained technical community, that is. Guess we'll get more data when triox hits the recreational community in force. Certainly, people get badly bent on trimix as well ...
Dive safety is very important to me, but I want to focus on what really works. One thing is Dr. Deco's advice regarding physical exertion.
On this I agree wholeheartedly. Not only do I find Dr Powell's advice here makes a lot of sense from all aspects and explain a lot of anecdotal decompression findings from other sources, but I follow this advice myself when diving. I'm looking forward to reading the NASA findings when published. In fact, I'd really like to sign up for his decompression class this autumn ... :wink:

Hi Sean:

When mixing gas in large cylinders, they are rolled back and forth. Sometimes gas is mixed in a diving chamber (in a lab) and pumped into the storage cylinders. For small scuba cylinders, I do not personally know if this is a problem as I do not mix gas for diving.

Some do and I would make sure that one is acquainted with all of the “quirks.”

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :grad:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Back
Top Bottom