Nitrogen Bubbles and Knuckle Cracking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We know that the joints are often the first place that decompression sickness manifests itself, and this is caused by nitrogen bubbles.

I've read that the sound your knuckles make when you 'crack' or 'pop' them is from nitrogen bubbles being released.

So, is there any link between a need to crack your knuckles and diving a lot?

I've been doing more deep dives near the NDL lately and I'm having a problem with this, to the point where my knuckles are sore, although I'm not sure yet if they are more sore after diving or not. Just that they seem to want to be cracked a lot.

Could this be a sign that I'm overloading myself with nitrogen? Should I spend more time doing deco stops to prevent damaging my joints/knuckles?

I've got a similar complaint, but for me, it's my elbows. And my neck and left shoulder, the home of another old injury. I haven't dove in a couple of weeks, but as I have about ten dives planned for these next four days, it's a concern.

This past month, I have had two friends get bent. One of them had a similar profile to mine, again, another ten dives in four days, all to the same depths, with about the same bottom times. So I can't help but think about it.

I'll be diving a 36% mix, with depths of about 60 feet. I tend to be rather conservative on my ascents, slow, with long stops. Hopefully, the elbows will behave. Unfortunately, can't do much about the stress on the neck, not with the weight of my gear. I'll let you know the outcome.

Hello readers:

When you crack your knuckles, you do indeed create a large gas bubble in the joint. This is a form of stress-assisted cavitation called "viscous adhesion.” The link by Gene Hobbs brings you back to older SCUBA BOARD replies.

Other than a psychological need there is no physiological need to crack your knuckles.

As far as the upper extremities are concerned, injuries in the neck [cervical spine] can result in pain or weakness in the arms and hands. These are best treated by a physician - or surgeon if the problem develops in severity.

Dr Deco :doctor:

The next class in Decompression Physiology for 2007 is August 18-19. :1book:
This class is at the USC campus in Los Angeles.
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

I asked the question because my knuckle is sore all the time recently, and it didn't used to be. There's also some stiffness in my knuckles that I'm not used to. Perhaps my 'crack habit' has finally caught up with me, but I'm concerned it could be DCS. The wrist seals on my drysuit are a little tight, I wonder if they make it hard for my hands to offgas.

Anyway I'll just keep an eye on how the pain changes after I dive, and try to stop cracking my nuckles and see how it goes.

Dr Deco:
Hello readers:

When you crack your knuckles, you do indeed create a large gas bubble in the joint. This is a form of stress-assisted cavitation called "viscous adhesion.” The link by Gene Hobbs brings you back to older SCUBA BOARD replies.

Other than a psychological need there is no physiological need to crack your knuckles.

As far as the upper extremities are concerned, injuries in the neck [cervical spine] can result in pain or weakness in the arms and hands. These are best treated by a physician - or surgeon if the problem develops in severity.

Dr Deco :doctor:

The next class in Decompression Physiology for 2007 is August 18-19. :1book:
This class is at the USC campus in Los Angeles.
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom